In pictures

Paris’ steampunk Arts et Métiers Metro station // In pictures

Paris’ steampunk Arts et Métiers Metro station

Paris’ Metro may be well-known for its art nouveau-influenced stations, with their arching cast-iron entrances decorated with leaves, and their white-tiled platforms. But there’s one station that looks more like it’s stepped out of a Jules Verne science fiction story – Arts et Métiers. Given its name by the arts and craft museum above it, the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers, the platform for Metro line 11 here was given its unique look as part of the museum’s 200-year anniversary. Belgian comic artist François Schuiten turned the tunnels into a steampunk-style submarine, taking inspiration from Jules Verne’s Nautilus. The polished copper walls with portholes onto miniature civilisations, huge cogs on the ceiling, carved wooden seats and brass detailing make it a world away from your usual commute.

Arts et Métiers in Paris
Paris’ steampunk metro station
Porthole
Arts et Métiers Metro station
Paris’ steampunk Arts et Métiers Metro station

Paris’ steampunk Arts et Métiers Metro station – On the Luce travel blog

No Comments

Ship's Cook
    November 7, 2011 at 11:54 am

I have got to see that.

November 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm

We saw a photo of it a while back and thought the same! Didn’t get time to check out the museum this time but it’s going on the list for the next Paris visit.

chicquero
    November 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

LOVEEEE IT

marinachetner
    November 7, 2011 at 3:32 pm

fantastic photos of a metro I have never known about!

November 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Wierd and rather wonderful.

AnaLuciaSilva
    November 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Its actually pretty cool and definitely worth seeing 😉

Rebecca
    November 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Ooh – thanks for featuring this. I would never have known about it and now I need to see it.

crampmystyle
    November 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm

These are the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen. Can I reblog them? With links and credit to you and your blog of course- I want to do a post about the metros. My personal favorite is Abbesses. You are my eyes to Paris! I think you would like these pics I took of all the faces I spotted when I was staying there in February: http://crampmystyle.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/faces-around-paris/

November 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Hey, yes no problem to reblog them. Glad you like them, it’s quite a place and definitely worth a visit someday. Good idea to do a post about the metro here, there are so many interesting details and it looks like you have a good eye for them – the photos of faces you’ve got are really great, I love that sort of hidden art.

Bernadette
    November 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm

That metro station looks great, thanks for showing it.

Jacqueline
    November 9, 2011 at 1:06 am

Amazing!

Peter
    November 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm

wonderful! thanks for sharing this!

dojo
    November 21, 2011 at 11:59 am

Wow, it looks amazing. That’s really a station to visit and photograph.

Autumn in Paris: How did I do? | On the Luce
    November 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm

[…] Lachaise and Montparnasse, to the raised Promenade Plantée park on an old railway line and the hidden art of the Metro. That’s as well as the events like the unbelievably busy Nuit Blanche all-night arts festival […]

On the Luce in 2011 | On the Luce
    December 22, 2011 at 6:05 pm

[…] – the Nuit Blanche arts festival, the eerie catacombs, the Promenade Plantée elevated park, the steampunk Metro station. I kept finding more and more to see, so have come home with a longer Paris to-do list than I […]

Links for June - Eirys X
    June 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

[…] Architecture: Paris’ steampunk Arts et Métiers Metro station – On the Luce I can’t believe that even though I have been to Paris several times in the past years, I have yet to see this amazing Jules Verne-style métro station. I’m sure the museum is worth a visit, too. […]

Links für Juni - Eirys X
    June 9, 2013 at 5:11 pm

[…] Architektur: Paris’ steampunk Arts et Métiers Metro station – On the Luce Ich kann selbst nicht glauben, dass ich, obwohl ich in den vergangenen Jahren mehrmals in Paris gewesen bin, diese unglaubliche Métro-Station im Stil von Jules Verne noch nie gesehen habe. Das Museum ist vermutlich genauso einen Besuch wert. […]