In pictures

Prague’s iconic Charles Bridge // In pictures

Charles Bridge, Prague

The Charles Bridge – or Karlův Most – is one of Prague’s most iconic, and busiest, sights. Built in the late 14th century, for nearly 500 years it was the only way you could get across the Vltava River. The bridge is lined with over 30 statues and has imposing gothic-style towers protecting each end. Everyone’s seen the classic photo of the deserted bridge in the mist, it’s one of the most recognisable images of Prague. You might struggle to recreate it yourself though, as the Charles Bridge is one of the city’s most popular attractions, constantly packed with a mass of tourists, artists and gift stalls for most of the day. But if you’re there in the winter or get up before dawn you can have it to yourself, otherwise you can see some of the best views of the bridge from the riverbank on the Prague Castle side of the Vltava.

Bridge in black and white
Crowds on the bridge
Charles Bridge details
Charles Bridge in Prague

Prague’s iconic Charles Bridge – On the Luce travel blog

Travelbunny
    August 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Beautiful shots, as always, Lucy!

August 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Thanks Suzanne, it was a bit of a struggle to get any that weren’t swarmed with people!

aBitofCulture
    August 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I’d have loved to have gone there in the 70s when no-one had been there.

August 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

It would’ve been great to see it when it was still an undiscovered tourist spot, it definitely isn’t now!

August 20, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Saw this in my “Reader” and thought it was an entry for Jakesprinter’s Sunday Post – Black & White. Could be!

August 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

It could indeed! I love black and white shots, especially when it’s cloudy or the light’s not great. I liked your Sunday post ones, you’ll be getting into it too now!

August 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Lucy. It was a revelation!

Prague | Fenya's Travels
    August 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm

[…] In pictures: Prague’s iconic Charles Bridge (ontheluce.com) […]

Anita Mac
    August 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I loved Prague! Walking across the bridge every day was crazy – so many people – you did well to get some less crowded pictures! Even in the winter, the bridge was a zoo! Couldn’t get enough of the energy though. Nice shots!

August 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks, it was hard to find a gap in the crowds but early evening was best – most of the day it’s packed though and sometimes you can hardly move!

gplusb
    August 22, 2012 at 11:20 am

Reblogged this on Gplusb's Blog and commented:
    very touching

Margaret
    August 24, 2012 at 4:32 am

I love the Charles Bridge. I know it’s crowded, but I still remember how wonderful it was to walk across it the first time I went there (early 90s) and look at the water, at the beautiful architecture, and people watch.

August 25, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’ve heard that it was a lot quieter in Prague in the early 90s, must have been great to see. Though it’s still beautiful on the bridge even with all the people there now.

Rachael
    September 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm

A lovely sequence. Really gives a feel of the place and makes me even more keen to get there!

September 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thanks, when I first saw it I was a bit disappointed as it was so busy, but in the gaps from the crowds you really get to see how stunning it is. Though may be worth the early alarm call for photos next time!

Journeys and Travels (@DocWends)
    September 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I just love this post Lucy. Photos, inspiring and the narratives, I am inspired 🙂

September 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Thanks, it’s such an iconic sight and just as inspiring in person.

Travel plans for 2012 – version two | On the Luce
    September 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

[…] and take hundred of photos of the spectacular architecture around the Castle, Old Town and Charles Bridge, and to climb up to the top of Petrin Hill. I also hear the beer gardens are worth a visit so may […]

mochimochiface
    September 29, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Beautiful shots, it’s like I’m back in Prague again!

I would go again, beautiful place and lovely people.

October 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thanks, I would so go back too, such a fascinating city and so much to see there.

groomtobeblog
    October 3, 2012 at 8:51 pm

très beau shoot 😀 je serai à Prague bientôt j’ai hâte

Pola (@jettingaround)
    November 4, 2012 at 8:45 pm

As busy as the bridge is, it truly is spectacular. I’ve been to Prague several times and there were always crowds, but I hope that the next time I visit, I’ll be able to see it either late at night or in the early morning. Nice shots, Lucy!

November 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thanks, I’d like to go and see it in winter with the mist or snow… and a few less people. It is still beautiful busy or not though.

Ardun Ward
    November 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

More awesome photos Lucy. You have a real talent mate 🙂

November 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Ardun, I’d have loved to see it without any people on but tried to get a few interesting angles.

The Culture Chameleon
    December 12, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Stunning shots. I visited in Prague in 2009, but my pictures were not nearly as beautiful as yours.

Denisa Caldova
    June 2, 2015 at 1:51 am

Hi Lucy, I found your blog in my reader and having a blog about travelling myself, I decided to have a look. I am originally from the Czech Republic, from Prague actually, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a blog post about your time in Prague. What was your favourite place there? If you are ever coming back, I would be happy to recommend places.

Best,

Denisa

June 5, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Hi Denise, thanks so much – I will definitely get in touch when I make it back to Prague. I really enjoyed my trip, highlights were the Municipal House (as I love art nouveau and deco) and the views from Petrin Hill.

RB
    May 24, 2016 at 1:31 am

Hey Lucy
    Great photos! Like your blog in general too. 43 countries is a lot btw. I thought I would share with you my Praha stories. Impressions of Taking over Prague and my almost misadventure where a calm head prevailed Fighting the Jew Hunter in the Prague … cheers, and hope you enjoy. Will be reading more of your blog 🙂

May 26, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Glad you like the post! Prague’s a great city – I’ll make sure to check out your posts.

RB