In pictures

The beaches of Costa Rica’s east and west coasts // In pictures

Beach at Cahuita National Park, Costa Rica

With a coastline on both sides of the county, Costa Rica has no shortage of beaches, with over 300 of them. They vary hugely – from black sand to pure white, from wave-battered surf spots to calm bays, from busy beach resorts to protected National Parks. Two of the most beautiful I visited were National Parks, where there’s no development, just you, the beach and some of the local wildlife. On the eastern, Caribbean coast is Cahuita National Park. Trails lead through the jungle, past lizards, sloths and monkeys, before emerging on a Bounty advert-style narrow white sand beach lined by palm trees. On the western, Pacific coast is Manuel Antonio National Park. The wide, horseshoe-shaped bays here are calmer but busier (watch out for the bag stealing monkeys) and with greeny-blue waters that are great for swimming.

Beach at Cahuita National Park, Costa Rica
Cahuita beach
Palm tree at Cahuita National Park
Palm tree and sloth in Costa Rica
Tropical beach at Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio National Park

The beaches of Costa Rica’s east and west coasts – On the Luce travel blog

garybembridge
    October 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Wow. They look amazing. Another place to add to my ever growing want to go and see list then!

October 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

It’s a stunning part of the world, I’m hoping to get over there and see a bit more of the region nest year. Til then I thought I’d reminisce about warm sunny places as it’s starting to get so cold at home!

franconsultor
    October 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Beautiful beaches of my country Costa Rica. Anyone who dares to visit ever regret. We are waiting with open embers.

franconsultor
    October 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Reblogged this on franconsultor and commented:

andasfortoday
    October 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Aw I want to leave cold England for this! Looks beautiful!

October 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Me too, a bit of sun and beach time would be very welcome, I’ll have to make do with hibernating by the fire til my next trip!

wanderoneday
    October 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm

This is beautiful! I knew there was a reason Costa Rica was on my ‘visit one day’ list!

October 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

It is a really stunning place, hope you get to make it out there one day.

love.antoinette
    October 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I have come to such close proximities with Costa Rica and still have not visited! Lovely photos Luce!

October 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Antoinette, it was my first trip to that part of the world but I want to see much more of it!

Travelbunny
    October 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Just gorgeous – thank you for cheering up a dull and dreary day (first back to work after hols!)

October 7, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Always hard getting back to normality after a trip, I usually end up planning my next one straight away!

panayiotisd
    October 6, 2012 at 3:05 am

wow this looks like a dream come true! bet you can reach the high level of relaxation and mind clearance there 🙂

October 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Definitely, it was a stunning place to get away from everything.

Rachael
    October 6, 2012 at 8:11 am

Brilliant and idyllic. I am planning a trip for 2015!

October 7, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Excellent! It’s making me want to go back to that part of the world again too, there’s so much to see.

f-stop mama
    October 9, 2012 at 4:12 am

We have entertained (and still are) the idea of moving to Panama. If we do we will have to visit Costa Rica. I have heard it’s beautiful down there (and yes warmer than where we live now). Thanks for sharing, I could see myself sitting on one of those beaches right now:-)

October 10, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I don’t know a lot about Panama but from my brief foray into that part of the world I loved it, such a good mix of landscapes and things to see, and that weather is definitely a winner!

Martha Juhl
    October 10, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Looking at Costa Rica for a family holiday over Christmas. Do you have any suggestions on areas for a family with 3 teenagers?

October 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hi Martha, I think it would be a great place for teenagers. There’s a good mix of activities and things to do without too much travel between. I’d recommend La Fortuna/Volcan Arenal and Monteverde for horseriding, spas and adventurous sports, Tortuguero for wildlife spotting and boat trips among the canals, and the Nicoya Peninsula for surfing, snorkelling and beautiful beaches. If you need any tips please drop me an email.

franconsultor
    October 20, 2012 at 5:58 am

Well be a great pleasure to have you here again, and I will make your pleasurable orders.

October 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Thanks, I hope to back to that part of the world soon!

franconsultor
        February 9, 2013 at 12:16 am

It will be a great pleasure and if you come please write would serve you as you deserve.

claupao94
    November 7, 2014 at 9:38 am

Hi 🙂 U should really visit Ecuador if you liked Costa Rica. Check out this magic place in Ecuador http://youngtravelbug.com/2014/08/27/all-you-need-is-ecuador-a-must-see-in-ecuador/