In pictures

Red, white and green in Zion National Park, Utah // In pictures

Zion National Park

After the sandy yellows and oranges of Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park was a whole different colour palette. Here we had the red of the rocks and the bright greens of the trees, backed with misty white skies. Even the park roads were paved in red so they blend in with the landscape. Not that you’ll want to spend too long on the roads. Zion is famous for its hiking trails – like the 16-mile Narrows hike where you wade through a riverbed canyon or the precariously perched path up the rockface to Angels Landing. There are plenty of less extreme options too, like a riverside walk or the paths through the forest to the Emerald Pools. As opposed to Bryce Canyon where you’re looking down, here you’re on the floor of the canyon with the rocks towering above you, with those reds and greens starting to glow as the clouds broke up.

Zion National Park, Utah
Zion National Park, Utah
Zion National Park, Utah
Zion National Park, Utah
Zion National Park, Utah

The details

Zion National Park is in southern Utah, near the town of Springdale. Entry costs $39 per car (or $12 on foot/bike) and is valid for a week, or it’s free with a National Parks Pass. There’s a shuttle service around the park every 15 minutes from 7am to 9.15pm which is compulsory from 12 March to November 2016. Parking is limited inside the park but you can also catch the shuttle from Springdale.

Red, white and green in Zion National Park, Utah – On the Luce travel blog

June 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I really wouldn’t have taken up much space in your rucksack, Lucy! Beautiful scenes. 🙂

June 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Next time I’ll squeeze you in Jo! Loved the US National Parks so already planning the next ones I’d like to see – got a long list already.

June 13, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I’ll start slimming now! 🙂

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports
    June 13, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Absolutely gorgeous Lucy! You’ve got me brainstorming how I can make it there this summer…

June 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Hope you get to make it – loved that there was so much to see in this region without travelling too far, though I could’ve easily spent a few days in each park if I had the time.

swedenole13
    June 14, 2013 at 12:20 am

You have described Bryce and Zion so well. Really good photos of both as well. Loved them both and hope to return to this area again one day! Arches is lovely too in a different way! Enjoy, and great posts Lucy!

June 14, 2013 at 10:46 am

Thank you – loved photographing this region, such stunning scenery. Still have some posts from Arches and Canyonlands to come once I finally finish going through all my photos!

swedenole13
        June 14, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I look forward to seeing them! Good times!

Rachael
    June 14, 2013 at 7:19 am

Nice to see it looking so beautiful. When we were there it rained the whole time!

June 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

It started off pretty misty so did think we might not see anything for a while but luckily the sun made an appearance later!

Browsing the Atlas
    June 14, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I can’t decide which I like better: those gorgeous colors, or the black and white. All are stunning.

June 14, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I’m on a bit of a roll with the black and whites at the moment after getting some new software (Silver Efex Pro) which does really good conversions – always a good cheat if the skies aren’t so good too!

The Travelbunny
    June 14, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Wonderful shots – just adding to my wanderlust…. 🙂

June 18, 2013 at 2:01 pm

It’s such a picturesque region, I was totally spoilt!

wigginswordsandimages
    June 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm

You have been to two of my favorite places. Zion is almost mystical to me. There were fires in the higher areas when we were there (in July 2007) so some of the hiking trails were closed. Thanks for the re-visit!

June 18, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Glad to bring back some good memories, I didn’t get chance to do much hiking on this trip but have seen some amazing photos of the longer hikes.

travelingange
    June 16, 2013 at 2:39 am

I love Zion! It’s impossible not to take beautiful photos.

June 18, 2013 at 1:59 pm

It is – even without the best weather the scenery was fantastic.

Gerard
    June 18, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Now I feel like I have to go there. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures.

June 21, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks Gerard, hope you do get to make the trip out there sometime.

missarielbody
    June 19, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I have so much love for Zion! I did a bit of climbing when we were there last, and there’s nothing quite like that to really get a sense of how enormous and stunning the place is! Hopefully you’ll have more time to hike next time as well! Beautiful photos!

June 21, 2013 at 10:44 am

I bet it’s an amazing place for a climber! My visit was a little bit more sedate but did give a good taster and a wish list of hikes to do next time.

elentari86
    July 13, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I did a 3 week road trip around southwestern USA in April, much like yourself. I really wanted to go to Zion on one of our Las Vegas days but we weren’t able to make it. Gutted! It just means I’ll have to go back on a southwestern National Parks tour – Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon South Rim (we did the West Rim) etc…

Reviewed: My top southwest USA road trip stays | On the Luce
    July 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm

[…] stay at the Lodge – as well as being a central spot in between the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. There are various shops and restaurants within walking distance of the Lodge – or […]

Canyonlands: Land of the giants | On the Luce
    July 25, 2013 at 10:00 am

[…] I knew the least about. I’d seen plenty of photos of Arches, the hoodoos at Bryce Canyon and Zion‘s red rocks, but what about Canyonlands? It gets less than half the number of visitors of […]

My top southwest USA scenic drives | On the Luce
    August 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

[…] 25-mile long road is the most scenic way to get to Zion National Park. It was built back in the 1920s to connect Zion to Bryce Canyon, and was a major piece of […]