Reviewed

My top southwest USA road trip accommodation

Southwest USA road trip accommodation width=

Sometimes a long-distance road trip can pass by in a blur – early mornings, long driving days, dinner at a roadside diner, then crashing out in a roadside motel before starting it all again the next day. But as I said before in my road trip guide, my plan for seeing the southwest USA was to take things a bit slower. So as we were going to spend at least a couple of nights in each place we stopped in, I wanted to find accommodation that was comfortable and good value, as well as preferably being locally owned with some individual touches. And the southwest didn’t let me down. I came across some budget accommodation gems – from log cabins to an adobe studio rental. These are four of my favourite southwest road trip stays.

Bryce Country Cabins – Tropic, Utah

Tropic in Utah is a teeny little town which is one of the closest places to stay for Bryce Canyon National Park. We stayed two nights in these cute little wooden cabins on the edge of town. They’re small but perfect formed. Each has two queen-sized beds, and en suite bathroom along with a small kitchenette with microwave, coffee maker and fridge. With all that pine they look a bit like something you’d expect to see in the Alps, and in April the weather was appropriately wintery. But the cabin was really warm and cosy, with thick patchwork quilts on the beds as well as electric heaters.

The cabins are built just off the side of Scenic Byway 12, which passes through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and Capitol Reef National Park as well as Bryce Canyon. Out the back there are tables and chairs where you can sit with a drink, overlooking miles and miles of farmland with the mountains in the distance. There’s a pizza place and restaurant in Tropic – both of which do take-out – or if the sun’s out there are barbeques you can borrow at the cabins.

The details… Bryce Country Cabins have various different size cabins. An individual cabin like ours costs from $99 a night for two people or $119 for four, plus tax. There are also deluxe cabins which have a separate kitchen-diner and larger Pioneer cabins for families.

Bryce Country Cabins, Bryce Canyon

Quail Park Lodge – Kanab, Utah

A roadside motel is the quintessential US road trip stay, but so many are generic and uninspiring. Not the Quail Park Lodge in Kanab though. From outside it’s a vintage 1960s motel, with neon roadside sign and colourful accessories, but inside it’s more like a hotel. The 13 rooms have been refurbished and updated in the last few years. So you get hotel-quality bed linen, dressing gowns, spa toiletries and iPod docking stations, as well as the usual things like cable TV, DVD players, a fridge and microwave. But the best thing about the place was the extra touches – like a free glass of wine when you arrive, free pastries, fruit and coffee in the lobby each morning, and even free international phone calls.

Kanab is home to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary – you can even bring one of their dogs back to stay at the Lodge – as well as being a central spot in between the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. There are various shops and restaurants within walking distance of the Lodge – or you can borrow one of their vintage bikes – and more within a few minutes drive. Although being a motel means it’s on the roadside, there wasn’t too much noise and there’s bit of outside space with a small pool and terrace.

The details… Quail Park Lodge is located just off Highway 89 on the edge of Kanab. Rooms cost $69–$169 a night plus tax, with a choice of two queen beds or one king, some with separate sitting areas.

Quail Park Lodge, Kanab

Apartment rental – Moab, Utah

There’s been a huge growth in apartment and room rental sites recently, so you’re not just limited to staying in hotels and motels. After struggling to find anywhere affordable in Moab we came across this studio. The friendly owners, Fritz and Suzanne, and their terrier Oscar live next door but the studio is totally self-contained, with a bedroom-come-living-room with a kitchenette, and a shower room. There are lots of local touches – from the adobe building itself to the furniture, wall hangings and pottery.

Moab is within easy reach of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, as well as being the area’s adventure centre – there’s mountain biking, rafting, climbing and canyoneering all nearby. The studio is located on the far southern edge of town, so you need a car to get there and around. The bonus of being a bit more remote though was that it was so quiet and peaceful and we got amazing sunset views across the mountains from our patio. The owners also supply you with breakfast supplies and can give you lots of advice and information about the local area.

The details… You can rent the apartment direct from the owners via VRBO for $125 a night, plus tax.

Moab apartment rental

The Old Santa Fe Inn – Santa Fe, New Mexico

We only had one day in Santa Fe so wanted to be right in the heart of the action, so went for the Old Santa Fe Inn. It was perfectly located a short walk from the plaza in one direction and the railroad district in the other. It’s designed in a motel-style U-shape with your parking space outside your room, but was one of the most luxurious places we stayed in (though also probably the priciest of the four). The style is very colonial New Mexico with lots of dark wood, local art and big bunches of dried chilies hanging outside.

We had a room with a king-sized bed which also had a sitting room/office area in the entrance, a small terrace out front and a bathroom with a walk-in wardrobe and jacuzzi bath. It also had a kiva fireplace in case it got cold – these are a local feature that look a bit like an enormous beehive in the corner of the room. There’s a big breakfast buffet every morning, plus Starbucks tea and coffee in the lobby all day and free cookies or chips and salsa each afternoon.

The details… We stayed in a traditional kiva room at the Old Santa Fe Inn, which starts from $149 a night plus tax. There are also traditional rooms without the fire from $129 and large suites with a separate sitting room from $199.

Old Santa Fe Inn

So those were my favorite southwest road trip stays – which would you most like to stay in?

Disclaimer: this article contains some affiliate links, where I’ll get a small commission at no extra cost to you, but I’ll only recommend products or sites I genuinely recommend and use myself – thanks.

vannillarock
    July 22, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Santa Fe is a favourites of mine. Have stayed three times. Agree with you that you need to be a short walk from or actually in plaza. We discovered the Santa Fe opera season a couple of years ago and as Brits who thought New Mexico might have a thing or two to learn from the Old Country about opera were completely blown away by the whole experience. I would even say- if you think you don’t like opera go to Santa Fe opera! Love your post.

July 22, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I really liked Santa Fe and would’ve liked to have spent a few more days there – if I make it back I will definitely check out the opera too.

jacek29
    July 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Lovely picture

fixedopsgenius
    July 22, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Reblogged this on One Black T-Shirt.

Fishing4Deals
    July 23, 2013 at 1:00 am

I love this. These are the kind of places I like to stay. We stayed in the park cabins at Bryce. It was super expensive but oh so romantic to wake up at sunrise and run over to the rim of the canyon for the view.

July 23, 2013 at 2:21 pm

That sounds lovely, we were on a bit of a budget this time but it sounds well worth the splurge if I make it back!

Laura
    July 23, 2013 at 6:01 am

I always find myself taking pictures of cute details at hotels, and it looks like you found some real gems on your trip!

July 23, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Every time I stay somewhere nice I ban whoever I’m travelling from coming into the room til I’ve taken a load of photos of it all clean and tidy before we mess it up!

July 23, 2013 at 6:16 am

I would love to stay at the Old Santa Fe Inn. It looks cozy and welcoming.

July 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I loved the kiva fireplace, it was pretty chilly despite the sunny days in April and it was great to be able to sit by the fire and warm up.

Kathryn
    July 23, 2013 at 8:48 am

Looks great and I love the places you are staying in – they all look charming!

July 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I was on a bit of a mission to prove you can stay in nice, interesting places without spending a fortune – a tough challenge in some places but not too hard in the southwest!

Kathryn
        July 23, 2013 at 3:16 pm

You did a great job!

multiplemichael
    July 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I have enjoyed your southwest experiences !!!
    Over the years I have visited all of the spots you hit.
    I was into rock collecting so I went much more remote than you.
    I am crazy in love with the Moab area.
    Your photos and words were perfect.
    Be thankful for your stamina.

July 26, 2013 at 9:26 am

Thanks, Moab is such a great place, so much to see in that area. We only had three nights there this time but it’s definitely on the list for a return trip sometime.

neihtn2012
    July 24, 2013 at 2:20 am

Thank you for sharing this very helpful information.

July 26, 2013 at 9:25 am

You’re welcome, hope it comes in useful sometime.

Bridget Pigott
    July 24, 2013 at 9:47 pm

You stay in posher places than us- we OAPs went for places just out of town usually. Must tell you the problem we had with Santa Fe. The first time we were roughly in the area we decided it was too far to drive for just two nights, so shelved it until next time. Three years ago we were in Prescott on a house stop, so decided we had to have a few days near Santa Fe, particularly since our object was the Georgia O’Keefe Gallery. IT WAS CLOSED FOR TWO WEEKS FOR REHANGING OF PICTURES! I had never dreamed they would do that in summer.
    Moral-Always check first!

July 26, 2013 at 9:24 am

We tried to find places where we could walk into town as had usually had enough driving at that point of the day. I really liked Santa Fe, funny that they chose that time to close the gallery though!

07viajero
    July 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Excellent Job! This piqued my desire to get on the road. Knowing a little about the geography, I was intrigued about your nightly lodgings. I am saving my current vacation for several weeks down under but when I get back I see these types of trips in my future in between the more exotic ones.

July 26, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thanks, there are some really nice places to stay around which don’t have to costs too much, they do take a bit of searching out though!

sarahkendray
    August 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Congratulations!!! I have nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award. Your username has been linked in my link below. Have a great day! Find out the rules to the award here http://bloglostandfound.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/the-versatile-blogger-award/ 😀

Marah @ifly.net.au
    December 1, 2014 at 7:55 am

I like the Bryce Country Cabins. They seem cozy and perfect for rejuvenation.Whenever I visit a new place, I’d rather choose to stay in this type of dwelling than a hotel. Cabins are not only comfortable to live in for awhile but as well as much cheaper compare to hotels.

December 1, 2014 at 3:45 pm

The cabins were lovely, really cosy and lots of character – I always try to choose the individual places over hotels where I can.