Sunsets and spirituality in Sedona

Sunsets and spirituality in Sedona

Among the macho Wild West-style towns of the southwest USA, Sedona in Arizona attracts a more New Age crowd. The town has embraced its alternative side with a host of crystal shops, psychics, alternative therapists and vortex tours. And it’s the vortexes surrounding Sedona which have given the town its spiritual reputation. Found in among the red rocks around town, vortexes are supposed to be sacred spots, where energy flows radiate the Earth’s power and you feel heightened spiritual and emotional awareness. Even before the vortexes were discovered the area was a spiritual site to the Native Americans who lived here.

Sunset over Sedona, Arizona, USA

The sun setting over Sedona

I have to admit to being a bit skeptical when it comes to this kind of New Age stuff. But the vortex sites have the bonus of being surrounded by some stunning red rock scenery, so even if you you’re not feeling anything spiritual then they’re still beautiful places to visit. We were staying up on the hill at Airport Mesa, the closest vortex site to town. As the sun started to go down, the red rocks started to glow in the light. Sat on the terrace of our hotel with a glass of wine while we watched the colour of the sky change probably wasn’t the spiritual vortex-related moment the New-Agers might have been imagining, but it was one of the most peaceful and relaxing parts of my whole journey around the southwest.

View from Airport Mesa, Sedona, Arizona, USA

Views of Sedona from the Airport Mesa vortex site

Away from the vortexes, the landscape around Sedona also has plenty of of mountain biking and hiking routes that take you up close to the rock formations that surround the town, like Cathedral Rock, Bear Mountain, Bell Rock and Courthouse Rock. Or if that’s too energetic then there are a couple of scenic drives too. The first runs to the north of town and takes you through Oak Creek Canyon, where the road zig-zags up the steep sides of the canyon surrounded by pine trees. The other is the Red Rock Loop which takes you up into the terracotta-coloured hills around Sedona for great views of the rock formations.

View from Oak Creek Vista, Sedona, Arizona, USA

Cacti at the Oak Creek Vista viewpoint

Back in town, Sedona has also developed a thriving artistic community alongside its spiritual side. There are over 100 galleries and artists’ studios here as well as film, art and jazz festivals each year. Although there’s still a small-town feel to the place, the huge four million visitors that come here every year mean that it’s got a big selection of boutiques, spas and restaurants. You can eat anything from fine dining with seasonal local produce to Mexican specalities and you’re within easy reach of the surrounding Verde Valley wine region. So whether your spiritual home can be found at a vortex, on a hiking path or in a great meal or a glass of local white, you should be able to find it in Sedona.

Wine tasting in Sedona, Arizona, USA

Sampling local wine at Tasting Arizona and views on the Red Rock Loop

Sunsets and spirituality in Sedona – On the Luce travel blog

Bridget Pigott
    August 1, 2013 at 11:04 am

Loved Sedona, though it had grown tremendously from when we first went about ten years ago.
    Can strongly recommend the Pink Jeep company tours which take you right out into areas you’d never dare take a hire car, or even your own, with very knowledgable drivers. We thought they were expensive at first, but someone else said they were good,and they were.

August 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I’ve heard really good things about the Pink Jeep tours, we only had a couple of nights this time but would like to go back and see a bit more of the area sometime, the wine region in particular!

fixedopsgenius
    August 1, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Reblogged this on One Black T-Shirt.

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports
    August 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm

A glass of wine and a gorgeous sunset definitely suits my sense of spirituality better than a vortex, too 🙂 Beautiful post!

August 5, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Lauren, it was such a relaxing and chilled out place to end a road trip.

August 2, 2013 at 3:26 am

I took my mother and my daughter to Sedona 4 years ago and we found there was something for everyone. Just loved it and would go back any time.

August 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Me too – I’d like to go back and spend a week there and use it as a base to explore the area sometime.

Yaşar Norman
    August 2, 2013 at 8:15 am

Reblogged this on yasarnorman.

Pride in Photos Photography
    August 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

Here is a place on top of my bucket list…thank you so much for sharing this.

August 5, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Hope you get to visit soon, it’s such a fantastic place, definitely one of my favourite spots on this trip.

Madhu
    August 5, 2013 at 11:52 am

The stunning scenery and the white should do it for me too 🙂

August 5, 2013 at 3:53 pm

We did see some great sunsets on this trip but that terrace was one of the top spots.

The Fundamental Alchemist
    August 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm

The spirituality aspect seriously reminded me of Glastonbury, UK! Just replace vortexes with legends of King Arthur and the Holy Grail and mountains with tors :o)

August 8, 2013 at 10:15 am

That’s true – there’s these types of legends and stories all over the world!

juliaverbatim
    August 12, 2013 at 1:40 am

My experience visiting Sedona a few years back was much like yours. I don’t have much to say about vortices, however, I do love to just sit and gaze and sip.

My top southwest USA scenic drives | On the Luce
    August 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

[…] town of Sedona in Arizona has not one but two scenic routes. Both have great views over the deep red sandstone […]

madeleinedeaton
    October 10, 2013 at 3:35 am

Great post Lucy, we’re looking for alternatives to our Grand Canyon hike now that all the parks are closed. Sedona is somewhere that I’ve been intrigued by and your photos have convinced me, it looks gorgeous.

October 10, 2013 at 10:11 am

I loved Sedona – such a beautiful setting and a relaxing place to spend a few days, plus lots of hikes etc if you’re a bit more energetic than me! Such a shame about the Grand Canyon but hope you manage to sort something else out.

Brock
    September 13, 2015 at 4:01 am

Such an awesome place, isn’t it? I love Sedona. I see you have a photo of one of my favorite places, the airport viewpoint. Just a stunning location. I have been there a few times and it never seems to lose its beauty. Breathtaking every time.v

September 13, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Such a lovely place – and that view was just spectacular, we were staying nearby and watched sunset from the viewpoint three days in a row!

Agnes
    October 30, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Sedona is definitely a go-to destination not only for nature lovers but for families as well. I am happy to see a lot of fellow bloggers who keep on promoting this beautiful place. Nice post, btw. Keep it up.