In pictures

Capturing the colours of 2013

Capturing the colours of 2013

Last year Travelsupermarket.com ran a photo competition where bloggers were asked to submit their favourite photos from around the world that captured the colours blue, yellow, green, red and white. I loved searching through my old photos and reliving travel memories as I put together my entry for last year, so was pleased to see that they’re running the competition again, with great prizes which include £3000 worth of holiday vouchers. For my entry I’ve picked out some of my most colourful photos from the last 12 months of travels, featuring destinations in France, Portugal and Jordan.

Blue

Blue and white azulenjo tiles in Porto train station, Portugal
This ornate blue and white tiling wouldn’t look out of place gracing the walls of a museum, church or palace. But its setting actually a bit less glamorous – a train station in Porto. These painted ceramic azulejo tiles are found all over Portugal but these are some of the finest. They were painted by famous azulejo painter Jorge Colaço and over 20,000 individual tiles make up elaborate scenes of battles, coronations and other events in Portugal’s history. Not a bad backdrop to start or finish your journey.

Yellow

Sunbathers on the Paris Plages urban beach
Although a lot of Parisians leave the city in August and head to the coast, you don’t have to choose between the city and the beach. For four weeks each summer a stretch of the banks of the River Seine is turned into an urban beach for the Paris Plages event. There are parasols and loungers, sand sculptures, pools and water spray fountains to cool off in, boules pitches, playgrounds and beach cafés. Or you can just lay out on the golden sand and catch some sun like these people last summer.

Green

Fountain in the gardens of the Grande Mosquee de Paris, France
My green entry is also from Paris, though it might look more like it could be from Morocco. The Grande Mosquée de Paris brings a taste of North Africa to the French capital. Hidden away behind the doors of the mosque you’ll find a lush secret garden. It’s an oasis of green, packed with trees and flowers and with fountains surrounded by turquoise floor tiles that make it look like they’re standing in a pool of water. A few minutes of peace among the greenery and it’s easy to forget you’re in Paris.

Red

Camels at Petra, Jordan
My red entry comes from the temples of Petra in Jordan. I had a lot of photos which would’ve worked for yellow from Petra – everywhere you look you’re surrounded by shades of gold. These camels matched the colour scheme too, but their bright woven blankets gave a flash of vivid red in amongst all that sand. You see them carrying visitors all around Petra, but these two were taking advantage of a break between passengers to have a rest before the afternoon rush back to the Treasury.

White

Jumieges Abbey in Normandy, France
And finally my choice for white is Jumièges Abbey in Normandy. The 50-metre-high limestone towers of this former Benedictine Abbey have been standing here since 1067, despite the best efforts of the English, Huguenots and French Revolutionaries over the years. The bright white of the stone stands out against the green of the lawns and trees surrounding it, and at night it’s lit up and glows even brighter.

So those are my choices – but which is your favourite?

Suzanne Courtney
    August 21, 2013 at 10:30 am

Super shots Lucy – I especially like your blue photo with it’s interesting back-story and perspective. Good luck with the competition 🙂

hanelunterwegs
    August 21, 2013 at 10:55 am

Beautiful Entrees! Love the “green”, been there too and it really seems to be an oasis of peace within Paris :)! I alos like the white one- very intriguing picture to the theme “white”. so anyone can join?

August 21, 2013 at 11:53 am

Yes anyone is welcome to join in – you just need to post up a photo for each colour and then let Travelsupermarket know (via email or Twitter) to be entered into the competition. Look forward to seeing your entries!

Arianwen
    August 21, 2013 at 11:14 am

Wow! Nice pics, and thanks for the nomination! I love that first one. The walls are like my gran’s old collection of plates! 🙂

August 21, 2013 at 11:54 am

My gran had blue and white plates like that too! Hadn’t noticed the resemblance til then. Look forward to seeing your entries too.

jpilkington09
    August 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm

The secret garden in Paris looks incredible. Some amazing photos, best of luck!

August 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Thanks – I saw a photo of it somewhere and knew I had to go and track it down, it’s such a beautiful and peaceful oasis amongst the bustle of Paris.

Sunil
    August 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Amazing snaps…Especially Red and Yellow entries..Wishing you good luck with the competition.:)

Ben
    August 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Fantastic photos, especially the yellow one from Paris. Good luck with the competition!

August 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thanks, it’s such a great idea to turn the riverbank into a beach – I’d been wanting to go for years but never managed to time it right til last year.

lucykpickering
    August 21, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Great photos – I love the ‘green’. Best of luck!

August 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thanks, I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed, though there are already so many amazing entries!

Monica Trippodo
    August 21, 2013 at 1:54 pm

The green one is the winner! Good luck!
    M

August 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Lovely, Lucy! 🙂
    Haven’t got round to mine yet but I better get a move on or there’ll be noone left to nominate. Love your green. Fortunately I hadn’t planned Porto for my blue. 🙂

August 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Thanks, can’t wait to see your choices, and glad I didn’t pinch the tiles idea!

Cassie
    August 21, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Great shots, Lucy! I’ve always wanted to see that beautiful tilework in Porto. One of these days! And thanks for nominating me, I’ll have to look through my photos this weekend and put together a post.

August 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Thanks Cassie, look forward to seeing what you come up with. I loved Porto – and Portugal as a whole, already got my next trip there booked for October!

August 22, 2013 at 3:17 am

I love your camel picture!! Good luck with the competition. All your photos are excellent.

August 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Thanks Darlene, the camels had such expressive faces I couldn’t resist taking a few shots of them!

soniajonestravel
    August 22, 2013 at 3:48 am

Blue by far – all shots are great but LOVE the blue!

August 22, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Thanks – and glad to see you were inspired to have a go too! Love your red shot, my dad has vintage cars so I’ve grown up around them.

Capturing the Colour 2013 | soniajonestravel
    August 22, 2013 at 6:34 am

[…] through another great travel blog called On The Luce and came across her latest post entitled Capturing the Colour 2013. The concept is simple – publish a blog post showcasing five of your favourite travel photographs […]

Capture the Colour-2013 | High Heels Off
    August 22, 2013 at 4:07 pm

[…] just stumbled across something very exciting while going through On The Luce, one of the blogs I follow; a photo-blogging […]

Zara Jan Durrani
    August 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I absolutely love your photographs (my favorite is the Yellow)! And thanks for you post, I’m going to take part in the competition too!

lookingfortamara
    August 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Lovely!!

Capture the Colour 2013 - Beyond Blighty
    September 2, 2013 at 12:02 am

[…] the Luce, Julika from Sateless Suitcase and Jen from JDomb’s Travels for their nominations. Lucy’s entry includes a really cool urban beach shot, Julika has captured brilliant bright colours in some of […]

Need Another Holiday | Full-time job. Part-time travel.
    September 3, 2013 at 6:36 pm

[…] trying to improve with every trip I take, so I was over the moon that fellow travel bloggers Lucy and Julika thought of me with their nominations for 2013′s Capture the Colour competition. […]

Madhu
    September 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Gorgeous choices Lucy! The blue and red are my picks. Looks like I am going to be left with no one to nominate if I don’t hurry up 🙂

September 4, 2013 at 11:41 am

Thanks Madhu – look forward to seeing your colourful shots too!

gallivance.net
    September 4, 2013 at 10:03 am

Stunning shots Lucy. I particularly love your yellow and red shots – those Petra camels are so cool! 🙂 Wishing you all the best, Terri

September 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

Thanks Terri, I loved the camels, they pulled such great facial expressions!

Kellie Netherwood (@DestnUnknown)
    September 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Gorgeous shots Lucy! I think the camels win it for me – such unique looking creatures!

Good luck 🙂

September 17, 2013 at 11:38 am

Thanks Kellie, they did make me laugh with their weird faces. Good luck to you too, I love your red shot with the photographer and the penguin!

Travel your way photo competition | On the Luce
    September 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

[…] And this is a good one, with compact cameras and a £1000 overall prize up for grabs. After Capturing the Colours of 2013 earlier this month, this time I’ve been searching out my favourite transportation-related […]

Tina Schell
    October 10, 2013 at 4:13 am

Lovely choices – I especially like your white entry. Good luck!