Taking on the ‘Take 12 Trips’ challenge

Taking on the Take 12 Trips challenge

I love reading travel blogs, learning about new destinations and experiencing other people’s adventures across the world. But I know that the tales of people who give up their jobs, homes and lives to live out of a rucksack indefinitely can sometimes be hard to relate to. ‘Part-time traveller and full-time travel obsessive’ is how I describe myself, and although travel is my passion it’s not my only one – I have a husband, family, friends, business, house and a couple of cats that all take up their share too.

On the Luce has always focused on combining travel with everyday life and making the most of the time that you have available to travel. So I love the idea that Claire from Need Another Holiday came up with to celebrate her first blogging anniversary. She wants to encourage other part-time travellers with full-time jobs to fit in as much travel as they can, so came up with a challenge to ‘Take 12 Trips’.

Perranporth beach in Cornwall, England

September: Perranporth beach in Cornwall

The idea is to take a trip each month for the next year – it can be an overseas holiday, a weekend near home or even just a day out. It challenges you to incorporate travel into your everyday life, committing to do at least one trip every month and making sure you’ve always got a trip or two to look forward to. Your trips don’t have to be big or expensive either, it’s also a good excuse to see more of your local area.

So I’m taking on the Take 12 Trips challenge. I’ve got a little bit of an advantage in that I work for myself so am not such a slave to the annual holiday allowance. But after a hectic and expensive year, and with big work projects and winter coming up it should help push me out of my comfort zone (which is in front of the wood burner with a glass of wine and a cat on my lap at the moment) and keep me travelling. The challenge started in September so I’ve already made a start. So where are my 12 trips taking me?

Villa in Lagos, the Algarve, Portugal

October: our villa in Lagos in the Algarve

My first trip in September was a relaxing four-day break down on the north Cornish coast. There was a lot more rain than sun, but we managed a sunset walk on the beach and the rest of the time were happy to hibernate in our gorgeous cottage. Then October saw me make my second visit of the year to Portugal, this time for a week in a villa in Lagos with the family. Being spread across the country we don’t all get together that often now so it was great to all catch up and get a first taste of the Algarve.

Then coming up in November is a trip to London for the World Travel Market travel conference, where exhibitors from around the world will provide me with lots of inspiration for next year’s travels. And in December I head out to Paris for a long weekend just before Christmas. I’ve never been there in winter so look forward to seeing the city’s Christmas decorations, lights and markets. Then beyond that there’s another eight months to fill with trips, but you’ll have to wait until the New Year to find out where!

Bonaparte cafe in Paris St Germain

December: Paris at Christmas time

You can follow my progress on the Take 12 Trips challenge here on the blog, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also check out Claire and the other bloggers taking part by following the #Take12Trips hashtag on Twitter. Or why not join us and take on the Take 12 Trips challenge yourself?

Taking on the ‘Take 12 Trips’ challenge – On the Luce travel blog

Comments

1. says

I love this idea! I agree that a love of travel doesn’t necessarily mean you get to do it 24 hours a day (as much as I would love to!) – but its a great idea to incorporate it into your life as much as possible, regardless of money and other life commitments!
    Thanks for the idea – I may just try this!

• says

I always think that part-time travellers appreciate it more as you have time to look forward to it and reflect afterwards – when I travelled full-time for a while it all went by in a bit of a whirlwind!

2. says

This is such an amazing idea! Looking forward to traveling each month, even to your local coffee shop or park, can release a lot of stress that we as humans inhabit from every day to day life!

3. says

Love this idea! I think something like this will really help me to adjust to being back home full time, having something to look forward to everything month would be wonderful.

• says

It’s a good way to remind yourself to make time to get away and travel – I always seem to end up with months when I travel loads then others when I seem to get swept away with work and other plans, so will try and spread it out a bit better!

4. says

I absolutely love this idea! And it’s what I’m trying to incorporate with my blog – just getting out there, experiencing life and living through those experiences no matter how big or small. It’s definitely going to be a goal of mine to do this!

5. says

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing. What a great way to incorporate travel into your life on a more regular basis. I think I will start with our trip to New Orleans in November.

• says

Fantastic! I look forward to reading about New Orleans – I’ve wanted to go there for years and take my dad who’s a huge jazz fan. Maybe I can squeeze that into my 12 trips later next year!

6. says

This is such a great idea! As a fellow ‘part-time traveler, full-time travel obsessive,’ I agree that it is important to continue exploring new destinations both near and far. This is such a great motivator to keep planning trips. I’m looking forward to reading about your remaining trips over the next 12 months!

• says

Thank you! I have a few plans in the pipeline for the next 8 months but plenty of months to fill up too – will have to see what other places I can explore near to home, it’s shameful how little of my local area I’ve seen but this is a good excuse to put that right!

7. says

I really love this idea! I read a ton of travel blogs, and the ones where the bloggers are traveling full time are always interesting, but feel so far from my own lifestyle. I like the idea of doing something like this, which seems a bit more realistic for most of us.

8. Cassie | Ever In Transit says

I really love the idea behind this challenge! Like you (and lots of your commenters–I think you’ve hit a nerve!) I have no interest in traveling long term, but I revel in the challenge to find adventure frequently whether close to home or across the globe. I’m excited to follow along!

• says

I know, I didn’t expect there to be so many of us part-timers out there but it’s great to see that so many people like to travel like this too, combining it with other parts of your life to get the best of both worlds!

9. says

I think I’ve been trying to live out this challenge lately without even knowing it. Careers and finances aren’t always compatible with my wanderlust, so I’ve been trying to experience new places close to home too. There’s so much discover no matter where in the world you are. You’ll love Pairs in the winter – decorations and lights galore!

• says

I can’t wait to get back to Paris – I usually try to get there once a year and it’s been over that now! Lots of places on my list a bit closer to home though, hopefully this challenge will spur me on to finally visit a few of them!

10. says

Great Idea! I think that people forget that just getting out a short distance from where you live can be just as gratifying, mind opening and exciting as visiting far flung places. Travel doesn’t have to be expensive or far. I love this idea because experiencing new things is so important in life! The hardest part will be to figure out which 12 places to go!

11. says

All those mini honeymoons you were going to have will fit in well with this challenge, Lucy 🙂
    The weather wasn’t kind in the Algarve? What a shame 🙁 Did you like what you saw otherwise?
    It’s my Barcelona trip on Sunday. Getting very excited.

• says

They do indeed Jo! The Algrave weather was a bit of a mixed bag for us – a couple of lovely sunny days but then some big storms. Still had a great time though, some relaxing days by the pool and lots of time with the family. All were very impressed with Portugal so we will definitely be back again!
      Enjoy your trip to Barcelona, look forward to reading about it.

• says

How funny! When will you be out there? We are getting the Eurostar out on the morning of Friday 13 December and then back on Sunday evening. Just a quick trip unfortunately but will be so nice to see it looking all festive.

12. says

This is such a great idea! I loved doing my 30b430 challenges during my ‘grown up gap year’ but since getting home and starting work again I must admit that travelling plans sometimes get put on hold. Would love to do something like this to get me back in the swing of things:)

13. says

That is an interesting concept. I ended up spending about 4 months in western Oklahoma last spring visiting family and I tried to go visit state parks and local attractions even though none of them are famous. I was surprised at some of the beauty and wildlife I saw. It is good to see what there is around you. You might be surprised by what you discover.

14. says

This is a fantastic idea Lucy. I always find myself wondering why I can’t have both, the urge to wander and the urge to continue with the regular. And I love how you put it: part-time travellers. So apt.
    I look forward to following this. 🙂
    I am currently traveling in fact. I’m in Thailand celebrating my first wedding anniversary); and I think I’ll use those posts as a way to come on board as well.
    It’s a great way to seek new experiences, if nothing else.

• says

Hope you are having a great trip to Thailand – what a fantastic place to celebrate your first anniversary! Here’s to a fantastic year of travels to come, let me know how you get on with the challenge.

15. says

“Part-time traveller and full-time travel obsessive” is such a brilliant description (of me, too!). I absolutely love this idea, so I’m willing to give it a go too. I have a few trips (Cambodia, Vietnam, Greece) already planned, but this challenge will make me work a bit harder to fit shorter trips in between. Thanks for your post!

16. says

Lucy, I love this idea – how creative. 🙂 And it’s something that just about anyone can tackle. Can’t wait to see where you decide to go for the rest of your challenge. All the best, Terri

Trackbacks