In pictures: Bridging the gap between Newcastle and Gateshead

Bridges across the Tyne in Newcastle Gateshead

Straddling the River Tyne in north-east England are the twin cities of Newcastle and Gateshead. They’re divided by the river, with Gateshead on the southern bank and Newcastle on the northern bank, but have seven bridges to connect them. At the heart of the cities, these bridges tell the story of their history. First is the Industrial Revolution-era High Level Bridge, built to carry trains up the east coast from London to Edinburgh. Then there’s the iconic Tyne Bridge, built in 1928 by the same engineering firm who built the Sydney Harbour Bridge a few years later. And the newest is the arching Millennium Bridge, opened in 2001. It’s the first opening bridge to be built across the Tyne for more than 100 years, tilting upwards like a winking eye to let ships pass underneath and lit up by night with a rainbow of changing colours.

Bridges across the Tyne in Newcastle Gateshead
Bridges across the Tyne in Newcastle Gateshead
Bridges across the Tyne in Newcastle Gateshead
Bridges across the Tyne in Newcastle Gateshead
Bridges across the Tyne in Newcastle Gateshead
Bridges across the Tyne in Newcastle Gateshead

Comments

1. says

Awww, looking at those pictures makes me feel all nostaligic!
    When the Millenium Bridge first opened, my dad got me a large postcard with 4 photos of it, each lit up in a different colour. I also have a big postcard of the Tyne Bridge that my cousin sent me. Little reminders of home :-)

2. says

Did I seriously miss seeing you again? Oh no!

Hope you had a great weekend at Traverse. Your pictures are lovely. I love the design of the Millenium Bridge and that third photo captured its elegant arches perfectly.

• says

Oh no, I didn’t realise you were there too! Hope you enjoyed it, am still processing all the information I think but had a really great weekend and feeling very inspired now.

3. says

Glorious shots, Luce! :) I seldom get to see it at night and I’m usually in a taxi heading home. Wonderful skies for the daytime photos too :) It opens at midday, daily, by the way.

• says

Sounds like the event was well worth attending! I keep meaning to make the effort but I guess I’m a bit long in the tooth for this kind of thing. :(

• says

Not at all, there was a good mix of people actually, not all 18 year old gap yearers! There seems to be so many of these conferences but I liked this fitted into a weekend and was in the UK. They normally only do one a year but maybe see you at 2015’s!

4. says

Isn’t it a fun city :-) Had not been for many years and so impressed with how much it has improved. Love the modern design. Can recommend the Cycle Cafe on Newcastle side of the river and the delightful Mudeum of Childhood.

• says

I really liked it too – though didn’t have enough time to really see it this trip, but thanks for the tips, will try and visit when I head up to the north-east again in September.