The Flåm Railway: Norway’s most scenic train journey

Flamsbana scenic railway in Norwegian fjords

From the train window I watched snapshots of Norway’s stunning scenery flashing by, one after another – steep rocky cliffs, deep blue fjords, lush green meadows, neatly painted red and white clapboard houses, mountains topped with a sprinkling of snow. I was expecting the Flåm Railway, or Flåmsbana, to be impressive – it’s ranked as one of Europe’s most spectacular rail journeys – but we hadn’t even arrived at the start yet. In most countries this would’ve been a famous scenic train route, but in Norway this was just the regular mainline track between Bergen to Myrdal. It was hard to even imagine how much more beauty there could possibly be, but Norway is overflowing with it. So much so that it can be hard to take it all in, but the Flåmsbana is a pretty good place to start.

Flamsbana scenic railway in Norwegian fjords

The Flåmsbana waiting to set off from Myrdal station

The Flåm Railway was built in the 1920s – well started then at least, as the huge engineering challenges in building a line on this steep gradient meant it wasn’t finished until 1940. Around 200 men worked on the site at a time and it was tough going. As well as the line itself there were 10 stations, 20 tunnels and a bridge to build, and with no heavy machinery to help them back then, each tunnel had to be dug out by hand. It took something like 150 man-hours of work to create just one metre of tunnel. The finished line is only 20km long, but travels a huge distance in height from 863 metres at Myrdal to sea level at Flåm. It was mainly used for freight to start with, but when that started to decline it was sold off and it’s now one of Norway’s top tourist attractions with around 600,000 visitors each year.

Flamsbana scenic railway in Norwegian fjords

Snowy villages on the route down to Flåm

After leaving the Bergen train, our Flåm Railway journey started off at its highest point in Myrdal. Even in mid-May the ground was still covered in a thick layer of snow, and having not packed a coat I was glad to see the train already standing on the opposite platform. Smartly painted in dark green with gold lettering, the carriages have a real vintage feel with wood-paneled walls and chrome luggage racks. But there are mod-cons too, like screens at the end of the carriage to tell you what you’re seeing and about the history of the line. And even more importantly, each carriage has five different brakes, each of which can stop the whole train. Something you’ll be glad to know when you see the steepness of the track.

Flamsbana scenic railway in Norwegian fjords

The Reinungvatnet mountain lake starting to melt

I’d already read up on how the line had been built, but it’s not until you start on the journey that you realise what an amazing feat of engineering it really is. The track zigzags its way down a gradient of 5.5%, which means that it descends one metre in height for every 18 metres it travels. The gradient wasn’t the only challenge though, the steep rocky cliffs and river gorges didn’t help – and they even had to redirect the river through tunnels through the mountain. And this was all designed and planned on paper, long before computers, in an environment where landslides could easily wipe out weeks’ worth of work.

Flamsbana scenic railway in Norwegian fjords

Waterfalls along the route, including the Kjosfossen on the left

The beginning of the route runs through a snowy forest, dotted with red and yellow wooden houses. It passes by the Reinungvatnet mountain lake, which was just starting to thaw after being frozen for months. The track then starts to descend steeply and disappears into the first of many tunnels before stopping at the Kjosfossen waterfall. The waterfall is over 90 metres tall and according to Scandinavian fokelore, it’s home to mythical creatures called the Huldra. These beautiful siren women bewitched passing men with their song and lured them out into the woods. Keep an eye out for them, as you might spot one or two dancing among the waterfalls (though they only seem to come out on the busier train journeys!).

Flamsbana scenic railway in Norwegian fjords

One of the tiny mountain villages along the route

Back on the train again, windows cut into the tunnel walls give you flashes of the view down the valley and across the valley to the sinuous Rallarvegen. The name roughly translates as the ‘navvies road’ and it was originally built as a construction and access road for the railway track works. Today it’s used as a mountain biking track with 21 twists and turns on the way down. By this point we had descended almost halfway and the snow had completely disappeared, replaced by green fields and cascading waterfalls full of meltwater.

Flamsbana scenic railway in Norwegian fjords

Looking down the Flåm Valley

At Breikvam the track splits in two so that trains travelling in opposite directions can pass each other. Then towards the end of journey, the gradient smoothes out and the valley opens up. Looking down on the old part of Flåm it seemed like a model village, with miniature houses and a tiny wooden church on the riverbank. The newer part of Flåm lies further downriver, along the banks of the Sognefjord. This is the end of the line for the Flåmsbana, where the passengers climbed off, slightly dazed from an onslaught of views and colours and dizzy from running from one side of the train to the other so as not to miss anything.

Flamsbana scenic railway in Norwegian fjords

Overlooking the old part of Flåm village

The details

The Flåmsbana runs four–ten services in each direction per day, depending on the time of year – see a full timetable here. The journey takes around 50 minutes and tickets cost 340 NOK (£30) one way, with a 30% discount if you have an Interail/Eurail rail pass (not available online). You can also combine the Flåm Railway with a fjord cruise as part of the hugely popular Norway in a Nutshell day trip, though it can get really busy. A good tip if you are doing the trip independently is to check out the Norway in a Nutshell timetable and avoid the trains they use – we had a carriage almost to ourselves on the Myrdal–Flåm route by doing this! You can find out more about the railway’s history in the free Railway Museum in Flåm.

Which direction is best? We did the journey in both directions and although you see the same scenery, you get a different experience. Travelling downhill from Myrdal–Flåm was much smoother and better for taking photographs. Travelling uphill from Flåm–Myrdal you could feel the train working hard so you get a lot more squealing of brakes and and lurching around. So it depends on which you prefer!

The Flåm Railway: Norway’s most scenic train journey – On the Luce travel blog

CrazyGuyinThailand
    June 16, 2014 at 11:03 am

Beautiful Norway.

Vlad
    June 16, 2014 at 12:41 pm

My god, it looks absolutely gorgeous! I’m getting a small taste of Norway this summer as I’ll be visiting Oslo in a month, but I already know I will go back to this beautiful country at least one more time. 🙂

June 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm

It is stunning! I didn’t get chance to see Oslo on this trip but would love to go back and see it and more of Norway – plus there are so many other parts of Scandinavia I want to see now!

Ann Koplow
    June 16, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Beautiful. I am putting it on my list of places I must go.

prior
    June 16, 2014 at 1:03 pm

beautiful….

Bama
    June 16, 2014 at 3:07 pm

The picturesque view convinced me to take the train one day in the future. It’s too beautiful to miss.

June 22, 2014 at 1:02 pm

That’s great – I would really recommend it, there are some great views!

madisonrolls
    June 16, 2014 at 6:06 pm

So pretty! Norway is definitely a country on top of my bucket list! I want to go so badly!

June 22, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I’d wanted to go for years too, so glad to have finally made it this year – though I still want to go back and see more!

pablogarcajimenez
    June 16, 2014 at 6:25 pm

amazing view!

Maddie
    June 16, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Absolutely stunning Lucy, Norway is definitely on my ‘Europe is really close so try and see more of it’ list!

June 22, 2014 at 12:55 pm

You so should, there are some really good cheap flights to Bergen too, I was really pleasantly surprised (budget post coming up next week!).

Heyjude
    June 16, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Stunning photos, brings back lots of good memories 🙂

June 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Thanks, glad to bring back some good memories!

jlhilleary
    June 16, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Lucy, I just love your blog. The places you write about, I feel like I have to book travel immediately to see for myself!

I have traveled in Sweden and Denmark, but not Norway. This makes me sure to fix that soon! Thanks for sharing this!

I especially like the little tip about which direction to take the train, uphill or down- not many would think to include that!

June 22, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Thanks so much, that’s really lovely to hear! This was my first time in Scandinavia but I would love to get out there again and explore Sweden and Denmark too.

PJ Creates
    June 17, 2014 at 1:56 pm

How fun – we were just on this last week! Truly amazing. Downloading my photos from my camera now…

June 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm

How funny! If you’re anything like me then there are a lot of photos to download!

Christina Dunya
    June 17, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay in my country 🙂 If you’re ever thinking of visiting Norway again, you should check out Telemark. We’re famous for our lovely villages and cultural heritage. Rjukan which is mostly famous for Vemork during World war 2 is a part of Telemark and is worth experiencing, there’s also a lot of beautiful scenery a long the way. Skien the birthplace of Henrik Ibsen and my hometown is also worth visiting, it’s only 2 hours away by bus from Oslo 🙂 Thank you for a informative post and all of the lovely pictures 🙂

June 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Thanks so much for all the tips Christina, I definitely plan to make it back and see more of Norway so will look up those places, you have a beautiful country!

Christina Dunya
    June 17, 2014 at 4:49 pm

The only setback is that everything is so bloody expensive in Norway, but hopefully the scenery makes up for it 🙂

June 22, 2014 at 12:52 pm

It certainly does! I’m going to do a budget post next week as people keep asking about the costs but I didn’t find it quite as bad as I imagined.

Amy & the world
    June 17, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Oh wow, this looks incredible. I’d love to see more of this area of Europe but had never really considered Norway before. That’s changed now!!

June 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Fantastic – I would so recommend Norway, flights from the UK are pretty reasonable too so it’s doable for a long weekend.

Top Down Time
    June 18, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Great tip on getting the less crowded trains!

June 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Thanks, I had all these timetables out trying to work out the best time and so glad I did as it was so nice to be able to move around the carriages and have lots of space!

June 24, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I go walking with a couple who just did the fjords on a cruise and they said it was spectacular, Lucy. Glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

June 24, 2014 at 9:07 pm

It really was beautiful, really enjoyed the trip and I think it might be the start of a few more Scandinavian travels!

June 24, 2014 at 9:57 pm

What stunning views – another one for the ‘must-see’ list Lucy!

June 25, 2014 at 3:35 pm

You know I love a good train journey, and this has got to be one of the most beautiful yet!

wayneatherholt
    June 27, 2014 at 2:41 am

Well this is an addition to the bucket list! Thanks – great post!

June 27, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Thanks – if you like train travel then it’s one of the best train journeys I’ve done, the scenery really does take your breath away!

wayneatherholt
        June 27, 2014 at 4:23 pm

i love train travel! i know it would be killer based on the pics and your story – i can’t wait to do that some day – thank you!

Wish List Tourist
    June 29, 2014 at 10:18 am

I’ll be there in August – can’t wait!

June 29, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Have a great trip – fingers crossed you get a sunny day for it too!

ablondearoundtheworldwp
    July 8, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Great destination!!! I was thinking about bringing my dad on the Flam railway cause he’s been rambling on it since years now! Hopefully we can make it next summer! Will treasure your advices! But in spring as you did looks also nice with all the snow (couldn’t believe the pics were from mid-may, freezing!!!!)

July 10, 2014 at 10:55 am

Thanks – hope you do get to make it out there and sure your dad would love it! I know it’s hard to believe its May with all that snow, but away from the mountaintops it was fairly warm – though you do have to usually dodge the rain showers!

Wilbur's Travels
    November 23, 2014 at 11:35 am

I had the pleasure of the journey in the early ’90s during an interrail trip to Scandinavia. It is indeed amazing. My favourite train leg was Trondheim to Fauske. I remember listening to Peer Gynt on my Walkman to add to the feeling of being in the land of sprites and trolls! From Fauske, I took the bus to Narvik and this easily ranks as the most scenic bus journey that I have ever done.

November 23, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Sounds like a great journey to take. I would love to get back to Norway and travel further up the country so will see if I can incorporate those journeys when I do.

abusymom
    December 13, 2014 at 6:39 am

Love your blog. 🙂 Gorgeous photographs and interesting details! Would love to visit Norway next June. But not sure about the weather conditions as I come from a tropical country. May I check which month did you take the pictures ? Is there lots of rain in June ? Would love to find out more from you. Thank you very much. 🙂

December 16, 2014 at 10:09 am

Hi, we visited in May so as you can see from the photos it was very green with some sun and clouds, and probably will be very similar in June. It does rain a lot in this part of the world so you may need to keep your fingers crossed for sunshine, but should be reasonable warm (but definitely not tropical!). Have a great trip.

Brooke
    April 25, 2015 at 12:37 am

It was wonderful to earn about your experience in Norway and see your beautiful photos. Most importantly I loved learning the history behind the railway and how much careful planning had to be done because of the gradients, canyons and waterfalls. It’s incredible to think about the work that went into making this railway.

April 25, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Thanks, yes it’s an amazing feat to build it on such an extreme landscape, especially as construction was a lot more manual in those days!

whatoccupies
    May 22, 2016 at 10:30 am

Hi Luce,

Great post! We’re looking at taking the railway the same way round you did (Myrdal to Flam and then back to Myrdal, in one day) could you please let us know whether you had to buy two single tickets inorder to do the trip this way round? The return trip appears to have to start in Flam!!

Thank you!

May 22, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Hi, yes we did have to get two single tickets – annoyingly more expensive than the Flam-Myrdal-Flam return route, though the advantage was that our trains were a lot quieter as we were going the other way to most people! It’s a stunning journey, hope you enjoy it.

ROBIN DEGTJAREWSKY
    May 29, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Hi Luce,

We’ll be on a cruise through the Norwegian Fjords in August. We have one day in Bergen – from 8 am to 5 pm. I’m trying to figure out if it’s possible to experience any part of the Bergen or Flam Railway on that schedule. The Norway in a Nutshell tour doesn’t work out because it gets back too late.

Any advice?

May 31, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Hi there, it’s just over a three hour journey each way from Bergen to Flam by train so theoretically just about doable, it would be very tight with a 8am-5pm window and you don’t want to risk missing the ship! There’s a lot to see in Bergen itself so you should be able to fill the day – and it’s a good excuse to come back sometime!

ROBIN DEGTJAREWSKY
        June 1, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Makes sense. I think we’ll stay in Bergen.Thanks for the reply!

Tilly Horseman
    August 11, 2016 at 8:59 am

Looks a fabulous train journey! ive not done much travelling by train on the continent but reading your posts make me want to do more! If you’re ever in the Zell am See area of Austria i can recommend the steam locomotive that runs up the line from Zell am See to Mittersil – that valley is stunning, and you visit the most fabulous of waterfalls of Krimml at the Mittersil end. The train only runs on a Sunday and a Thursday but it’s worth doing if you’re in the area on one of those days!

August 14, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Sounds great, I do love a scenic train and need to see more of Austria!