In pictures

Cruising out of Venice // In pictures

Sailing out of Venice, Italy

When I found out our cruise was departing out of Venice, I knew I’d have to try and fit in a glass of prosecco in Piazza San Marco on the way. But my plans were thwarted by a rainstorm and a flight delay, and instead we had to head straight on board our ship. That didn’t mean we missed out on the views though – or the bubbly. As we set sail, we toasted the start of our trip from underneath an umbrella on our balcony. We travelled through the Venetian canals, past palazzos, bridges and vaporettos weaving around us way below. We even managed to get our Piazza San Marco fix as we sailed right past, with fantastic views of St Mark’s Basilica and the Doge’s Palace. There’s been a lot of debate over whether cruise ships should be allowed to sail down Venice’s canals, and they were even banned for a few months earlier this year. So who knows how long it will last, but while it does I can’t think of a more spectacular way to wave goodbye to La Serenissima.

Canals in Venice, Italy
Bridges along the canals in Venice, Italy
Canals in Venice, Italy
Piazza San Marco, Venice Italy
Piazza San Marco, Venice Italy
Canals in Venice, Italy

Views from the Grand Canal sailing out of Venice on board a cruise ship, overlooking St Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace – ontheluce.com

I visited Venice as part of a Celebrity Cruises Venice to Istanbul cruise. Many thanks to Celebrity for hosting my mum and I on the trip. All views and opinions are, as always, my own.

pearce790
    July 7, 2014 at 11:23 am

Great photos of Venice. The best shots of the city are always from the water!

July 7, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Thanks – yes there’s always something going on isn’t there. I love that where other cities have roads and cars, Venice has canals and boats!

anilgkumar
    July 7, 2014 at 12:57 pm

awesome pics….

Packing my Suitcase
    July 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Amazing pictures of this amazing place… sorry that you didnt have time to enjoy Venice. Im sure you will have another opportunity 🙂

July 7, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Thanks – yes definitely will be back again soon, it’s already in the plans for 2015!

Worlds Many Wonders
    July 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Awesome pictures! Venice is one of my favorite places. Prosecco in San Marco is a fun time with all the quartets playing. Have you had the chance to visit Venice before this?

July 7, 2014 at 2:20 pm

It’s a great city isn’t it? I’ve been once before, in the middle of winter so it was beautifully atmospheric and misty, and not too busy, bit chilly for a prosecco in the square though – I must get back there in warmer weather sometime!

Worlds Many Wonders
        July 8, 2014 at 12:51 am

I was visiting there in July of last year and it was so crowded, but the square was still relaxing at night. I recommend going during the summer at least once so you can really enjoy Venice in the nice weather. 🙂

Kinisi
    July 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Gorgeous photos! What a port to ‘set sail’ from.

July 7, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Thanks, yes it was a great start – despite the rain!

Kinisi
        July 8, 2014 at 12:20 am

I’ve always thought Europe is beautiful, even on the wettest days 🙂 Still, I hope you both enjoyed countless days of sunshine on the rest of your trip!

Vlad
    July 7, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Stunning pictures, I’m getting more and more interested in a trip to Venice (and Verona too). I’m sorry you didn’t get the chance to visit the city, but at least you have a reason to go back 🙂

July 8, 2014 at 9:20 am

Venice is great – luckily I had been before so didn’t feel like I was missing out too much this time! I’ve not visited Verona yet though but hear that it’s lovely. I have such a huge Italian ‘to see’ list!

kathygiddins
    July 7, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I really want to go to venice when I’m working in Bologna in September- It looks beautiful!

July 8, 2014 at 9:21 am

You definitely should while you are so close – I think it’s less than two hours by train away!

Madhu
    July 7, 2014 at 4:45 pm

So beautiful Lucy! I am finding it hard to get Venice out of my mind 🙂

July 8, 2014 at 9:22 am

Thanks Madhu, it’s one of those places that really capture the imagination isn’t it?

teacherrhys
    July 7, 2014 at 5:32 pm

do you think venice is amazing? come in forli. forli is one of the most beautiful city of the world. it’s in thetop 10 of the list which was made by the most important art critics. g

July 8, 2014 at 9:22 am

Thanks for the tip! I plan to do a bit more travelling around Italy next year so will check it out.

aroundtheworldin80pairsofshoes
    July 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm

What a wonderful way to see Venice, something a little bit different. I did a day visit on the Celebrity Eclipse on Saturday and am well impressed with the ships! x

July 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

Thanks, yes the views were fantastic – being right in the middle of the city and being so high up you can see right out over Venice. This was on the Eclipse’s sister ship, I’d never been on a cruise ship before and was really impressed by how nice it was. Hope you enjoyed your day there on Saturday!

emmahart7
    July 8, 2014 at 8:11 am

It looks beautiful! What a great start to the trip even with a bit of rain! ☺️

July 8, 2014 at 9:26 am

It was great thanks, I never realised we’d be going right through the middle of the city like that – beautiful even when it pours!

July 8, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I have to admit I’m one of those who is opposed to cruise ships in Venice, Lucy. But I won’t hold it against you 🙂 Off to check the rest of your itinerary.

July 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I can definitely see both sides – being on the ship sailing out of Venice was amazing, but I’m sure I’d have a very different opinion if I lived there or even if I was visiting and they were a big blot on the landscape!

Shelley @Travel-Stained
    July 10, 2014 at 1:57 pm

What an amazing way to see Venezia!! 🙂

July 11, 2014 at 4:08 pm

It was a pretty fantastic start to the trip – despite the rain!

atravelingb
    July 16, 2014 at 3:19 am

I do not know if any city I have visited is as “beautiful” as Venice. Beautiful in a way that combines crumbling buildings, narrow alleys and an unbelievable lagoon. Sailing out of Venice must be one of the best experiences!

July 22, 2014 at 3:21 pm

That’s so true, it’s such a classically beautiful place, it almost feels unreal!

Natana Bolzon
    July 25, 2014 at 9:42 am

Love the pics!!! La Serenissima is amazing!