In pictures

Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen // In pictures

Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen

Narrow, gabled waterfront houses, a stream of boats along the canal, cobbled streets and cosy cafés – for a minute I thought I’d been transported to Amsterdam. But this is Christianshavn, Copenhagen’s canalside district. It was founded in the 17th century by Christian VI (yes him again, he was a busy boy) as part of his plan to fortify Copenhagen. And it does have an Amsterdam connection as its architecture was inspired by Dutch cities, with wide canals surrounded by warehouses and wealthy merchants houses. Today the warehouses are architects’ studios or art schools and the canals are full of yachts and houseboats. It’s one of Copenhagen’s most desirable neighbourhoods, mixing high-end and hippy style – both Michelin-starred Noma restaurant and the alternative community of Christiana are within a few hundred metres of each other. It’s the sort of place I could easily picture myself living, but for now I’ll make do with a taste of canal life with a drink on board a floating bar and window-shopping for my perfect canalside house.

Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen
Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen
Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen
Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen
Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen
Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen
Canal life in Christianshavn, Copenhagen

August 13, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Your photos from Copenhagen are amazing. Now I really want to go there!

August 13, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Thanks Darlene, I definitely got a bit snap-happy! Lots to capture though, I loved all the colourful boats and buildings.

Hannah @ Traveling Banana
    August 13, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Gorgeous photos 🙂 Copenhagen looks amazing.

August 14, 2015 at 11:53 am

Thanks Hannah, it’s a gorgeous place!

unfinishedtravel
    August 13, 2015 at 7:40 pm

It looks like a beautiful, relaxed city – I’d love to go!

August 14, 2015 at 11:57 am

It was so relaxing, normally on city breaks I come back exhausted but this time it really felt like a holiday!

Vlad
    August 14, 2015 at 8:29 am

I loved seeing Christianshavn from the water, wish I had more time to walk alongside the canals, but with such limited time, I’m happy I saw a good amount of Copenhagen’s attractions 🙂 Your photos are simply stunning 😀

August 14, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I think you saw more than I did in half the time! City breaks are always a balancing act to try and fit it all in, good to have some things left to see if there’s a second visit!

The Vagabond Baker
    August 14, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Looks so lovely in the sunshine! I fell in love with Copenhagen straight away walking from the station to the hostel! A couple of days ended up being 5!

August 14, 2015 at 3:59 pm

I can see how you ended up staying longer – we did plan to get out of the Copenhagen and go and explore a bit further afield but didn’t make it out of the city!

aharonhadas
    August 15, 2015 at 10:07 pm

copenhagen is definitely on my travel bucket list!

The Fashion Matters- Fashion & Travel Magazine

August 18, 2015 at 3:42 pm

It’s a great city, hope you get to make the trip sometime soon!

August 18, 2015 at 11:16 am

I cannot visit your or Suzanne’s sites without being consumed with envy, Lucy! 🙂 Copenhagen has ALWAYS been on my list. Added incentive here, despite the cost.
    I took a peek at the website too. Looking good! Hope the business side is going well, but enjoying the life you have seems a worthwhile endeavour. Thinking of you pottering in Clifton. 🙂

August 18, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Thanks Jo (and sorry!) – Copenhagen is definitely worth the trip, and compared to Norway I didn’t find the prices too scary. Business has been pretty good thanks, really busy in July so enjoying a bit of downtime in August!

writinghertravels
    August 19, 2015 at 8:07 am

Great photos – really inspiring!

August 20, 2015 at 11:25 am

Thanks so much!

abitofculture
    August 19, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I went to Christianshavn in 2001, and although it looked very nice there were no bars or restaurants there – it looks like it is now the place to be!

August 20, 2015 at 11:28 am

Sounds like it’s changed a lot as there were plenty now – a lot like Vesterbro where we stayed that used to be the red light district but is all trendy restaurants and bars now.

August 20, 2015 at 11:08 am

Lovely photos Lucy – such a clear light and great weather for your trip.

August 20, 2015 at 11:28 am

Thanks Suzanne – I will admit that was the sunniest day so the one I took the most photos on!

thebritishberliner
    August 21, 2015 at 6:08 am

I love your post Lucy, Christianshavn and the district itself was by far, my most favourite part of Copenhagen. I really liked the atmosphere, the vibe and everything they tried to do although it’s extremely smaller than what they originally envisaged. Did you know that officially, they’re recognised as being an “independent” state and have their own rules and regulations n’ stuff?

August 21, 2015 at 11:10 am

Christiana is a really interesting concept – and amazing that there is this whole separate ‘state’ as you say right in the centre of Copenhagen.

Carpe Diem Travels
    August 31, 2015 at 9:53 am

Your pictures are amazing, really capture the beauty! Love your blog 🙂