Guides

Alternative things to do in London

Alternative things to do in London

According to Samuel Johnson: “When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.” And he’s got a point – it’d take you a long time to work your way through all the attractions London has to offer. But if you’ve already visited Buckingham Palace, toured the Tower of London and climbed to the top of the Shard, what can you do on your second visit, or third or fourth? Here’s my pick of some of the best alternative and unusual things to see and do in London.

Travelled on the Tube? Explore its ghost stations

London’s Tube was the world’s first underground railway when it opened in 1863 and since then it’s expanded to 11 lines and 270 stations. But over the years some stations have been closed down after they weren’t used enough or because routes changed, and these ‘ghost stations’ still lie buried beneath London’s streets. Some have been converted or demolished, but others have been preserved, like the stations at Aldywch and Down Street. They’ve been used for filming everything from Bond film Skyfall to BBC series Sherlock. But there are also occasional special tours where the public can head underground and back in time. Brit Movie Tours runs tours of Aldwych and Charing Cross stations and the London Transport Museum are currently running tours at Down Street and Euston for their Hidden London event.

Abandoned Tube station at Aldwcyh

Empty platforms at Aldwcyh – photo credit Wikimedia Commons

Been to the top of the Shard? See the view from Big Ben

If you want views over London from up high you’re spoilt for choice – there’s the London Eye, Sky Garden, Monument, dome of St Paul’s cathedral, and tallest of all the Shard. But did you know you can also climb to the top of one of London’s most iconic towers at the Houses of Parliament? It’s called the Elizabeth Tower but you might know it better as Big Ben, after the bell inside. At 62 metres high you get a spectacular view of London as well as a peek behind the clock face. There is a catch though, you have to be a UK resident and request a visit via your local Member of Parliament. It’s a popular tour so put in your request as far in advance as possible. If you’re not eligible you can still take a tour of Parliament itself, and there are other unusual London viewpoints you can try – like the Emirates Airline cable car from Docklands to Greenwich, the O2 arena roof climb and the ArcelorMittal Orbit tower at the Olympic Park.

Houses of Parliament, London's South Bank at dusk

Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament

Seen the Science Museum? Try one of the city’s stranger museums

London is famous for its museums and galleries, with big names like the Science Museum, Tate, National Gallery, V&A and British Museum. But there are a plenty of smaller, quirkier museums around the city. You can travel back to the 18th century at Dennis Severs’ House. Severs bought the house 30 years ago and has recreated the life of a Huguenot silk weaver and his family. Candlelight adds to the atmosphere and with half-drunk cups of tea on the table it looks like they’ve just popped out. Or if you’re not squeamish there’s the Hunterian Museum with its jars of body parts, and gruesome tales of surgery at the Old Operating Theatre. And if you do want to visit the big museums, look out for special late-night opening events, like ‘Dino Snores’ at the Natural History Museum where you can spend the night with the dinosaurs.

Natural History Museum, London

Inside the Natural History Museum

Taken a boat trip on the Thames? Sail the Regents Canal

There are a whole range of boat trips available along the River Thames, from Transport for London’s Thames Clippers to speedboat rides and dinner cruises. But for something a bit more relaxed, head to leafy North London where the Regent’s Canal winds its way the 8.6 miles from Paddington to Limehouse. The London Waterbus Company run 50-minute trips along the canal on board an original narrowboat that runs between Little Venice and Camden Town. Along the way you pass flower-decked houseboats and grand waterside mansions, as well as the giraffe enclosures and aviary of London Zoo and Camden Lock. Or if you want to get out on the water yourself, you can take a guided 90-minute kayak tour along the canal.

Boats on the Regent's Canal

Boats on the Regent’s Canal – photo credit Chris Sampson on Flickr

Watched a West End show? Catch a quirky cinema screening

The West End is the home of theatre in London and you might think that Leicester Square is the place to go for cinema. It might host film premieres, but in real life the cinemas there are big, soulless and pricey. So instead try one of London’s quirky cinemas. If you fancy a bit of audience participation visit Soho’s Prince Charles Cinema where you can sing along to classics like Grease and Dirty Dancing. On a sunny summer evening there are a couple of outdoor cinema options. Luna Cinema hold screenings in London parks and grand locations like the Sky Garden and overlooking St Paul’s from One New Change. Or the Rooftop Film Club take over rooftops in East London and the Kensington Roof Gardens. The same people head below ground in winter to the vaults below Waterloo Station for the Underground Film Club.

Luna Cinema London

Luna Cinema at One new Change – photo credit Luna Cinema

Picnicked in Hyde Park? Discover the stories of Postman’s Park

Right in the centre of the city, the green expanse of Hyde Park is a great place to escape the bustle and relax with a picnic or a boat trip on the Serpentine lake. But to discover a park with a hidden secret head into the City of London to Postman’s Park. It opened in 1880 on the site of a former church burial ground. But in 1900 Victorian artist George Frederic Watts came up with the idea of creating a ‘Memorial to Heroic Self Sacrifice’ in the park to celebrate ordinary local people who’d given their lives to save others. So along the  wall of the park there are hand-painted ceramic tiles which commemorate the lives of 62 brave people. From stewardess Mary Rogers who gave up her lifebelt as her ship went down to Elizabeth Boxall who died trying to save a child from a runaway horse, each has it’s own fascinating story to tell.

Postman's Park in London

Memorial plaques at Postman’s Park

What are your favourite hidden gems and unusual attractions in London?

When you've seen the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace and the Shard, here's my pick of some of the best unusual and alternative things to do in London – ontheluce.com

travelingaddress
    April 22, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Excellent advices! The muséums seem great

April 24, 2016 at 7:53 pm

There are some fantastic museums in London – I’ve got a wishlist of new ones to visit still!

joiedevivrebypia
    April 22, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Great post! I’m traveling to London next month and even though I’ll visit it for the fourth time I have a feeling there is a lot I haven’t seen yet 🙂

April 24, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I don’t think you could ever run out of new things to see! Have a great trip

Emily
    April 23, 2016 at 4:22 pm

I loved this post! Makes me realise that though I only live less than an hour away from London, how much I’ve still got left of it to see! I may have to check out the outdoor cinemas 🙂

April 24, 2016 at 7:51 pm

The outdoor cinemas are great – such an interesting way to use some of the city’s amazing locations!

John
    April 24, 2016 at 10:55 am

This is a great guide – I hadn’t heard of most of these things! Am dying to explore the unused tube stops – have you done the tour yourself?

April 24, 2016 at 7:41 pm

I haven’t yet but signed up for one of the Hidden London tours (it’s not til next year though, they’re crazy popular!).

trolway
    April 25, 2016 at 9:20 am

I’ve been on a boat down the Thames and it is amazing – a side of London you wouldn’t believe existed! Very interesting about the other attractions – never knew about them – thanks for that Lucy.

April 29, 2016 at 9:53 pm

So much to see in London! I’d like to get down to the Thames Barrier sometime too.

Maureen Young
    April 28, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Try visiting the Dennis Severs house or the Foundlings museum. Southwark Catherdral and Borough market taking in the Klink prison and the Golden Hind . Magical London

April 29, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I love Borough Market but it does get crazy busy, as does a lot of Southbank! The Foundling Museum is another good one, I used to work nearby and go to the café there a lot but haven’t been back for years.

Chris
    April 30, 2016 at 3:42 pm

So…I had to look this up; Groundhog day is only celebrated in the states. I think it’s cool that they’re playing it in London, though. Lucy, thanks so much for posting this. The boats on Regent’s Canal look like so much fun.

May 1, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Groundhog Day is such a classic film! The rooftop cinemas are great, and I love the Regent’s Canal. Hope the post comes in useful.

thebritishberliner
    May 2, 2016 at 7:02 am

‘Love these ideas Lucy especially the underground tunnels!

I lived in London for about 5 years and knew about the postmans’ park, the quirky cinemas and the thames crews. However, I try to go to unusual museums and I hadn’t heard of the ones that you mentioned but I have been to the Geffrye Museum in Shoreditch!

Also, did you know that in the old “City of London” you can actually follow the trail of where the original City Wall, built by the Romans, used to be! It’s a bit of a walk (about 2 hours) but if you start from the Tower of London to the Museum of London, you’ll find it! There are panel slabs on the floor and on the wall and you just follow them. I’m into local history so for me, this was particularly interesting, and doesn’t cost a penny!

May 3, 2016 at 2:09 pm

I’ve not been to the Geffrye Museum yet but that’s one for next time! The Roman Wall sounds good too – I don’t think I’ll ever run out of things to do in London.

Angelo
    May 3, 2016 at 12:51 am

Finally got a chance to read this post. Lots of great stuff for my wife and I to do when we get there for our first visit next week! Thanks for all your info!

May 3, 2016 at 2:09 pm

That’s great to hear – hope you have a great trip!

Helen
    May 11, 2016 at 2:52 pm

There are great views from the Sky Garden and it’s free!

May 13, 2016 at 11:03 pm

The Sky Garden looks great – it’s pretty popular though so you do need to book well in advance!

diaryofalondoness
    May 15, 2016 at 5:44 pm

How interesting _ I had never heard of Postman’s Park!

May 18, 2016 at 10:35 am

It’s a lovely escape from the city – and such a nice idea to commemorate those unknown brave people!

Julia
    May 15, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Great list! I would love to explore the “ghost stations,” definitely something out of a Bond movie!

May 18, 2016 at 10:34 am

Apparently they’ve been used for film sets for all sorts of things! Sure it must feel quite spooky down there with the distant rumbling of trains.

Packing my Suitcase
    June 6, 2016 at 11:07 am

This post is amazing Lucy, thank you for that, it will be very handy for when I return to London in November once again for the WTM.
    Shame that I can’t go up the Big Ben though :/ I would love to do that!
    Oh, and I didn’t know that they were having an open air cinema at One Change roof top, I went there in November and loved the place, but must amazing to watch a movie there! 😀

June 20, 2016 at 9:42 am

Hope to catch up at WTM again – and that the post comes in useful!

Bill K
    June 9, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Postman’s Park is incredibly moving.

I’d like to recommend St Dunstan’s in the East

One of Wren’s post-Great Fire churches, bombed out in WWII, and turned into a beautiful garden/park. Just west of the Tower

June 20, 2016 at 9:41 am

I visited St Dunstan’s in the East not long ago too, a really atmospheric place, though it’s a shame all the overgrown greenery has been cut down, I suppose it was damaging the building but it did look really pretty with it.

J.L. Sigler
    August 13, 2016 at 1:49 pm

A 45 minute train ride from London gets you to Bletchley Park–a hidden gem. Well worth the effort to get there. Before you go you might want to brush up on your history and watch the Imitation Game or Bletchley Circle, both good primers for Bletchley Park.

August 14, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Bletchley Park is such a fascinating place! I’ve been meaning to write up my visit for a while so this is a good reminder to make a return trip and post about it soon.

Thuy Pham
    August 17, 2016 at 12:12 am

Lovely written! Nice post:)

August 17, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Thank you!

Patrick - Londonseite
    September 18, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Thanks for your tipps.
    I will check out some of them during my next London Tripp!

Patrick

September 18, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Hope they come in useful!

Hostelgeeks (@Hostelgeeks)
    May 25, 2017 at 10:48 am

Hey Lucy,

wow, these photos are amazing! I wasn’t so lucky with the weather, it was quite rainy…
    I wrote up my own piece of fun things to do in London, maybe you love it as well?

I already pinned your article now on my Pinterest! =)

May 29, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Thanks – yes you never know what you’re going to get with weather in London, sunshine is always a lucky bonus!