Travel future

Travel plans for 2017

Travel plans for 2017

2016 is almost over and after looking back at last year, I’m looking forward to 2017 and getting my planning hat on. Like every other year I’m torn between wanting to visit new places from my wishlist and wanting to go back to old favourites I already love. But I’m hoping I’ve got the balance right (whilst also knowing I’ll undoubtedly end up in a few places that I’d never expect to!). So here’s where I’m hoping my travels over the next 12 months will take me – ranked in order from the already booked to the fingers crossed.

A New York birthday

There’s a milestone birthday looming on the horizon for me in 2018. But I’ve got a few friends who’re celebrating theirs first – the perfect excuse for a big trip. So I’m heading back to one of my favourite places in the world to help two friends celebrate their 40th birthdays in New York this June. As well as introducing them to some of my favourite spots from previous visits, we’ll be checking out a few new places (Brooklyn, One World Trade Center and the Roosevelt Island Tram are on my list so far). I’m also planning to combine the city with a few days in the forests of New York State. After discovering a new love for the outdoor lifestyle on my Canada RV trip last year I’ll be taking it up a level and giving glamping a try.

New York Empire State Building

New York nights

Even more Scotland

After three trips to Edinburgh last year, there’ll be lots more to come in 2017 as my sister has bought a flat up there, so I have the perfect base to explore Scotland from. As well as exploring everything Edinburgh has to offer (I have a very long list of bars and restaurants I’m slowly working my way through) I want to head further afield and visit places like St Andrews and Fort William. The West Highland Railway is right at the top of my train travel wishlist too, and after loving the Isles of Lewis and Harris last year I’m on the lookout for the next Scottish island to visit – Shetland, Skye, Mull and Orkney are all contenders so far.

Edinburgh views

Edinburgh from Calton Hill

An overdue Italian Renaissance

Italy is another of my old favourite destinations, but I’ve not been back for way too long. One Italian destination I’d love to visit this year is the Cinque Terre. Gorgeous pastel-coloured seaside towns, hidden coves, coastal paths and those amazing sunsets. What’s not to love? Plus I haven’t been back to Italy since I had to stop eating gluten, and it’s is the place for delicious gluten-free pasta and pizzas. So I’m planning to eat pretty much everything I see, then do a lot of walks along the coast to make up for it. There are so many other Italian spots I’d like to visit too – Florence, the Dolomites and the far south among them.

Manarola Italy

Manarola in the Cinque Terre (photo credit Unsplash)

The Caribbean with a French twist

My husband has an obsession with the TV show Death in Paradise (a very British show about murders on a Caribbean island that’s a winter TV regular). And I have an equal obsession with lounging on a sandy beach with a tropical cocktail – especially if I don’t have to pay a fortune to do it. I’ve discovered some budget flights via Paris to the French-speaking Caribbean islands, and as they’re really close together so you can easily make it a two (or three) for one trip. So I’ve been concocting an island-hopping itinerary which mixes up the French flair of Martinique and Guadeloupe with the wild jungle landscapes of Dominica.

Guadeloupe in the Caribbean

Guadeloupe sunset (photo credit Nicolas Loison on Flickr)

The Northern Lights

There are a few trips which have been lurking on my travel wishlist for years and years. A South African safari was one until last year, and this year I’d love to finally see the Northern Lights (atmospheric conditions permitting!). It might be in Finland, Iceland or even Sweden (which has appeared in my travel plans for the last two years and I’ve still not been). I’m getting a new camera soon and planning on upping my night photography game, so hopefully by next winter I’ll be able to do the Aurora Borealis justice.

The Northern Lights

The Northern Lights (photo credit Unsplash)

So those are my 2017 travel plans so far. How about you, where do you hope to visit over the next 12 months? Or do you have any tips for any of the destinations I’m planning on visiting?

Debra Kolkka
    December 28, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Cinque Terre is horribly crowded in summer, go off season. Nearby Portovenere is a great place to stay and take the boat to Cinque Terre.

December 28, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Thanks for the tips – I was thinking May or September so sounds like avoiding summer is a good idea!

The Vagabond Baker
    December 28, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE Death in Paradise too! I’m going to be super jealous of that trip!

If you need any tips wanting to see the aurora I can help you out with Abisko,Sweden 🙂

December 28, 2016 at 12:52 pm

It’s the perfect middle of winter TV show (we need to find out when they’re filming next so we can lurk in the background of the bar!). Will definitely pick your brains when it comes to the aurora, you’ve had some amazing photos!

Vlad
    December 28, 2016 at 12:44 pm

I’m dying to see the northern lights too, hoping for a trip like that sometime next year. I have 5 trips already planned for 2017 and currently planning my 6th, haha.

December 28, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Sounds like you’re doing well on the planning front – can’t wait to see where you’re off to! I’m trying to reign myself in to allow space for the unexpected trips that turn up but it’s tough as there are so many places I want to see!

December 28, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Sounds like another great year. I’m going to Florence at the end of February and I’ve wanted to visit it forever! 🙂 Rather envy you the Caribbean trip. Have a fantastic 2017, Lucy!

December 28, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I’ve wanted to visit Florence for far too long too! Have an amazing trip, look forward to seeing how you get on – and have a lovely rest of 2017 too.

Rachel Gault (@rachelgault)
    December 28, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Sounds like you have an amazing year of travel ahead! I just saw the Northern Lights in Finland a few weeks ago and it was incredible!

December 28, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Should be good if it all works out! So hope to see the Northern Lights this year, fingers crossed.

December 28, 2016 at 3:22 pm

You have some great trips planned! I look forward to hearing all about them. I´ve been to St. Lucia and St. Martin, both French islands in the Caribbean. They were fabulous!

December 28, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Sounds amazing! I’ve got my taste for beach trips back after the Seychelles earlier this year so am really hoping I can sort out a Caribbean trip soon.

The Vagabond Baker
    December 28, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I’d love to lurk in the bar! How amazing that would be! Yes, Abisko is the best place to see the Aurora, apparently, and, well, I’ve certainly seen rather a lot of it already! I’ll vet the whole season for you and report back 😉

December 28, 2016 at 5:59 pm

That would be excellent!

Madison Beach
    December 28, 2016 at 3:51 pm

I’ve just booked to go Iceland in February, i’m so excited! I would definitely recommend Sweden, I’ve only been for a few days but can’t wait to go back, good luck with all your 2017 adventures!

December 28, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Enjoy Iceland, it’s an amazing country! So hoping to get to Sweden at long last – I’ve nearly been three times now, once I ended up in Denmark instead, another in Iceland and the other in Canada, here’s hoping it’ll be fourth time lucky!

Angie Silver (@SilverSpoonLDN)
    December 28, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Lol! Iceland has been lurking on my wish list, hoping to make it a reality this year!

December 28, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Iceland is fantastic! I’ve been on a couple of short trips but would love to go back and do a big road trip sometime. Hope you get to tick it off this year!

December 28, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Sounds like another exciting year planned Lucy. Cinque Terre has been on my list for years – I’d love to do the hikes between each town. New York is the perfect place to celebrate a special birthday!

December 28, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Can’t go wrong with New York (going to have to start thinking about what I want to do for my 40th!). I’ve been seeing so many beautiful photos from the Cinque Terre I can’t wait to see it finally. Hope you have a great one too.

Ella
    December 28, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Sounds like you’ve got a great travel year ahead of you! Every one of these trips is a trip that I’d like to do one day. It was actually in the works that me and my sister would go to Edinburgh for the festivals, but that has kind of fallen through. So 2017 is still a blank slate travel-wise but maybe that’s not so bad 🙂 Have fun!

December 28, 2016 at 11:11 pm

It’s always interesting to leave things open and see what comes up! Sorry you won’t make Edinburgh this time but hopefully you’ll get there soon, the festivals are crazy but great fun.

PEI Phototours
    December 28, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I received a lonely planet Chile book for Christmas so it’s on the docket for 2017 and trip New Orleans in February

December 28, 2016 at 11:12 pm

New Orleans is another place I’ve had on my wishlist for ages – and Chile sounds great too!

Tanja
    December 28, 2016 at 9:48 pm

very exciting plans! happy 2017!

December 28, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Thanks Tanja, hope you have a great year too!

Noelle
    December 28, 2016 at 11:36 pm

The French Carribbean islands sound so interesting, I’ve never been to any but would be curious to see what they are like! I saw the Northern Lights last year in Iceland in January. They were a cool sight but the ones I saw weren’t as strong as the ones in your picture. The farther you go out from light pollution the better they are I was told. Sounds like a great travel year ahead!

December 29, 2016 at 2:32 pm

The Northern Lights is a bit like in a safari in that you’re totally at the mercy of nature as to what you’ll see! Hopefully we can get some good views though – and France meets the Caribbean is going to be a really interesting mix.

Shere
    December 28, 2016 at 11:59 pm

The aurora is very high on our bucket list, but also not such a good plan with a baby and a toddler. Still thinking about Iceland in summer in a rv, as our norway adventure on rv went well

December 29, 2016 at 2:37 pm

No that might be one to wait until the kids are a bit older! Iceland in an RV would be great though, there’s some amazing scenery out there.

atravelingb
    December 29, 2016 at 1:09 am

Sounds fabulous! I’m also overdue for an Italian getaway and have not been to the Cinque Terre yet. I’ve also been carrying Copenhagen over on my bucket list the last few years so would love to make that happen this summer.

You have such an exciting mix for 2017! Looking forward to following along!

December 29, 2016 at 2:38 pm

The Cinque Terre looks so stunning I hope I finally make it out there at long last! Enjoy Copenhagen, I visited in summer a couple of years back and really enjoyed it, very laid back and relaxing place.

Thomas
    December 29, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Sounds good! Never been to Cinque Terre but been around in the west of Liguria and it was great. Welcome to Sweden!

January 3, 2017 at 11:48 am

Liguria looks beautiful too – do love Italy!

beingbuttons
    December 30, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Sounds like you’ve got some great plans lined up! My parents are off to Iceland to see the Northern Lights next year and I am so jealous. Cinque Terre is another one on my list too. Looking forward to reading about it all and seeing your photos. Have a great new year!

January 3, 2017 at 11:51 am

Happy New Year to you too – here’s to lots of exciting trips to come!

travel magnolia
    December 30, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I hope you have a great time in NYC. One World Trade Center, aka Freedom Tower, is well worth the visit. Book your elevator ride to the top in advance. While in the area, be sure to enjoy Santiago Calatrava’s transportation center and the 9/11 memorial is a must see. If you are looking for restaurant advice, I am a fan of https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york. Happy travels!

January 3, 2017 at 11:52 am

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

Mrs Ayla's Adventures
    December 30, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Some fantastic plans you have for 2017 Lucy! You should definitely visit the Cinque Terre – it’s my favourite place in Italy and the food alone is totally worth the trip. I’m desperate to visit Iceland and see the Northern Lights too so I hope you get to go this year 🙂

January 3, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Thank you! I’ve just been looking into places to stay in the Cinque Terre so that’s almost definite for May and can’t wait. Hope you enjoy Iceland and get lucky with the lights!

MummyTravels
    December 30, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I love the idea of the French Caribbean island hop – think I should check out some flights myself!

January 3, 2017 at 12:19 pm

If you don’t mind transiting in Paris then there are some good deals with Air France or Air Caraibes.

Magical Places
    December 30, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Would absolutely love to see the Northern Lights! Please check out my blog on the all American road trip (I’m just starting out – http://earthsmagicalplaces.blogspot.co.uk/

January 3, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Thanks, will check it out!

January 1, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Ooooooh loving the sound of your 2017 travel plans Luce! I’m off on a South African Safari this year, and I’ve pencilled the Northern Lights for this year too….poring over your SA posts for tips 🙂

January 3, 2017 at 11:48 am

South Africa is amazing! Will have lots of posts coming up (once I’ve finished sorting out the 10,000 photos I took of wildlife!).

Kate
    January 3, 2017 at 12:48 pm

What fantastic and exciting plans – I can’t wait to follow your adventures! My boyfriend and I have a few more months of living in England before we move on to our next destination and I hope to make the most of it by exploring Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, and *finally* visiting London.

Kate | http://www.petiteadventures.org/

January 4, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Thank you! Sounds like you lots of exciting things planned for your last few months in England (there’s still so many places in there I’d like to see and I’ve lived here all my life!).

Cindy's Travel Diaries
    January 3, 2017 at 6:29 pm

For now, I have planned some trips : Cameroun, Shangai, Italy and Venice, some travels in France, London…

You HAVE to go to Dominica, I looooove it here ! But go to Santo Domingo, not Punta Cana (that city has no souls and is only crowded with tourists) Don’t hesitate to ask me some questions about it if you need ! (I don’t know everywhere, but I was there during 1 month and I really enjoyed it)
    For the Nothern Lights, I juste came back from Iceland but I haven’t seen one (except from the plane). Despite that, it’s still an amazing country during winter !

January 4, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Sound like you have some great plans for 2017! Iceland is just wonderful – I’ve been briefly in summer and in autumn but would love to see it in winter too. And so excited for Dominica, thanks for the tips and I will get in touch when I have some definite plans.

raastha
    January 4, 2017 at 1:12 pm

That’s a good list. Hope you will cover all of them. Well, I plan to visit Goa this year.

January 4, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Thanks so much. Happy new year too – Goa sounds lovely!

Sydney
    January 4, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Your 2017 sounds wonderful! Look forward to reading all the posts.

Hope you make it to St Andrews – having gone to uni there it has a very special place in my heart. If you feel like walking, the Fife Coastal path is so beautiful.

Would be interested to hear what places are on your Edinburgh list – always looking for new places to try out here!

I highly recommend Skye – so many things to see and do. Such a magical place. Or if you’re wanting a whiskey/gin trip, Islay is amazing.

January 4, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Thank you! I will definitely try and get to St Andrews and Skye this year (I almost made it to Skye right when I started blogging but my train was late and I missed my ferry and had to cancel the trip!) – should have some more Edinburgh posts coming up soon too and thanks for the tip for the Fife Coastal Path. My sister is planning the West Highland Way this Easter but I really like the idea of a coast walk so will check it out.

Leigh | Campfires & Concierges
    January 7, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Great list! I’m plannning to quit my job and travel in August, starting with Switzerland, but the downside means I won’t be traveling much between now and then…I’ll have to live vicariously through all the travel blogs I follow!

January 9, 2017 at 12:59 pm

It will be so worth it though – hope you have an amazing trip!

Cindy's Travel Diaries