Guides

What does it cost? 10 days in South Africa

What does it cost? 10 days in South Africa

South Africa had been on my wishlist for longer than anywhere else in the world. It’s got a bit of everything – wildlife, beaches, wine regions. The only downside is the long journey, so it’s not exactly a weekend break. But if you can find a good flight deal, the value of the rand (with 100 rand getting you around £6/€7/US$8) makes it a really affordable place to visit right now. But how much does it really cost to visit South Africa? Here I share my trip budget for a 10-night city and safari trip to Cape Town, the Kruger and Johannesburg.

Note: these costs are based on my travel style – mid range with a touch of affordable luxury – so I keep the costs down where I can to can splash out on special experiences that are worth the extra. So there’s usually a mixture of hotels and apartment rentals, cooking and eating out, free activities and paid excursions.

Camps Bay Cape Town

Camps Bay beach

Accommodation

Hotels in South Africa are pretty reasonable, but because we knew our safari would be a big blow-out, we tried to keep costs down in Cape Town to balance things out. So we chose this one-bedroom AirBnB apartment in Oranjezicht, right at the foot of Table Mountain. It cost 5850 ZAR/£347 for five nights (£68 a night or £34 per person per night) and had a decent kitchen so we could save money by cooking some meals, as well as access to a pool and really friendly owners who gave us lots of Cape Town tips.

The biggest expense of the trip was always going to be the safari, and there are a lot of different options – from £1000 a night luxury lodges to budget public campsites. For my first safari I wanted to try out the classic game lodge experience, so went for Naledi Bushcamp, set in the private Balule Game Reserve on the edge of Kruger National Park. There’s a huge choice of lodges around so it’s always going to be a bit of a punt picking one, but Naledi had (justifiably) amazing reviews and a not-too-eye-watering price tag. At 17,700 ZAR/£1050 for three nights (£350 a night or £175 pppn) it’s still one of the most expensive places I’ve ever stayed, but the price did include all our meals (minus drinks) and activities while we were there.

We also spent one night sleeping on the overnight train between Cape Town and Johannesburg (included in transport costs below) and a final night in Johannesburg at the African Pride Melrose Arch for 1820 ZAR/£108 (£108 a night or £54 pppn). We didn’t have much time in Johannesburg so picked somewhere that was easy to get to, had places to eat nearby and a pool to chill out by before we flew home.

Total accommodation cost: £1505 or £752.50 per person – an average of £75 a day each.

Bo Kaap, Cape Town

Colourful Cape Town

Transport

Cape Town’s easy to get around so we did a lot of walking, though we did take a taxi from the airport to our apartment (300 ZAR/£18) and a couple of Ubers. Uber is really cheap in Cape Town so three shortish rides only cost us 145 ZAR (£9). We also used the sightseeing bus to get around to some of the places that were a bit further out, like the beach suburbs and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. We hired a car for the day from Cape Town to do our road trip down to Cape Point (465 ZAR/£28) – we just booked it the night before and searched for the nearest car rental place with the lowest price, which ended up as Europcar.

We also hired a car for five days from Johannesburg to get us to and from the game reserve. This was pre-booked with Sixt before we left home and cost 1450 ZAR/£86, plus another 1400 ZAR/£86 for petrol and road tolls (we covered around 1000km altogether). To travel between Cape Town and Johannesburg we took the Premier Classe overnight train, a budget-luxury option which costs 3120 ZAR/£184 per person, including all your meals on board (and there is so much food!). And finally to get to Johannesburg airport from the train station to collect our hire car, we took the shiny new Gautrain for 151 ZAR (£9) one way.

Total transport cost (not including flights): £318 per person – an average of £32 a day each.

Zebra in Kruger National Park

Zebra crossing in Kruger

Activities

Most of the things we did in Cape Town were free – walking along the coast, listening to music at the V&A Waterfront, lazing in parks, visiting free museums. We did get a one-day ticket for the sightseeing bus (270 ZAR/£16) which we used to get around to the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens (60/£4 entry) and down the coast to Camps Bay. The only other thing we paid to do was 20 ZAR (£1.25) for entry to the Bo-Kaap Museum. But the weather was so windy the whole time we were in Cape Town that we couldn’t do two of the city’s biggest attractions – the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway (255 ZAR/£16) and the boat trip to Robben Island (320 ZAR/£19) but we would’ve if we could, so I’m adding them into the budget.

We did a couple of day trips from Cape Town. The first was a wine tour to Stellenbosch and Franschhoek (995 ZAR/£58 each) and the second was a road trip to Cape Point via Muizenberg (free), Boulders Beach to see the penguins (70 ZAR/£4.50), Cape Point (135 ZAR/£8) and Chapman’s Peak Drive (a toll road which costs 42 ZAR/£2.50 per car). All our activities at the game lodge were covered, with twice-daily game drives and an afternoon walk or trip to a hide. Tips are extra though and were tough to gauge – articles I read say you should tip 200–250 ZAR per day to your guide, 100–150 to your tracker and the same to the lodge staff. We ended up going for 1000 ZAR/£60 (mainly based on how much cash we had on us at the time!). And finally we took another sightseeing bus for a quick tour of Johannesburg on our last day (170 ZAR/£10).

Total activities cost: £169 per person – an average of £17 a day each.

Penguins on Boulders Beach, South Africa

Penguins at Boulders Beach

Food and drink

Food – and especially wine – is such good value in South Africa and we had some really great, inexpensive meals. In Cape Town we tried to keep to a budget so mixed up making our own breakfasts and dinners with lunches out. We did a couple of food shops at Woolworths and a local wine store (total 1104 ZAR/£65) and ate out for brunch at the Company’s Gardens café (200 ZAR/£12) and the V&A Waterfront food market (160 ZAR/£10). We also went out for a few cocktails in Camps Bay and Sea Point (358 ZAR/£21).

Out of the city we bought lunch at Lust Bistro on our wine tour (250 ZAR/£15) and at Cape Point (560 ZAR/£33), where there’s a surprisingly smart restaurant right on the point with amazing ocean views. All our food was included both on board the Premier Classe train and at the game lodge, but drinks were extra. We paid a bargain 170 ZAR/£10 for two bottles (!) of wine on the train and 560 ZAR/£33 for drinks at Naledi Bushcamp. Then finally we had a room service dinner in our hotel in Johannesburg as we arrived really late at night (488 ZAR/£29) and had lunch and a few drinks before flying home (447 ZAR/£26).

Total food and drink cost: £254 or £127 per person – an average of £13 per day each.

Fruit platter at Naldei Bushcamp

Fresh fruit breakfast at the game lodge

The grand total

So when you add it all up, the overall cost came to £1366 per person (£137 per day). A safari is such a bucket list trip that it’s worth splashing out on and South Africa’s affordability means that it’s not too difficult to save on other things so the overall budget doesn’t get too out of control. I absolutely loved it out there and would definitely go back and explore some more of the country next time.

Lower budget? If you want to save money, the easiest way would be to cut down safari costs by staying in one of the SANParks lodges or camps. They’re state-owned so are a bit more no-frills, but the locations are fantastic and you can either drive yourself around the park or join in their ranger tours.

Higher budget? If you want to splash out, then there are some gorgeous beachside hotels in Cape Town, as well as high-end restaurants and activities like helicopter trips over the city. You could also do a longer safari or stay in one of the luxury boutique lodges, or do a fly-safari to a few different locations.

What does it cost? 10 days in South Africa

Disclaimer: this article contains some affiliate links, where I’ll get a small commission at no extra cost to you, but I’ll only recommend products or sites I genuinely recommend and use myself – thanks.

Victoria
    April 26, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for the great guide, Lucy. I’m currently looking to do a trip there next year and this is super helpful. Only thing I’m changing is swapping Johannesburg for a drive down the garden route, but hopefully this shouldn’t affect the budget tooo drastically!

April 27, 2017 at 9:52 am

If I’d have had a couple more days then I’d definitely have done the Garden Route too, it looks gorgeous (but we found a flight with a Seychelles stopover instead and couldn’t resist!)

April 27, 2017 at 7:31 am

What a trip, Lucy! And making every penny count. 🙂 🙂

April 27, 2017 at 9:51 am

Thanks Jo, it really was amazing, I’m already plotting to go back!

Anne
    April 27, 2017 at 9:48 am

Having not got to the two main sights in Cape Town you’ve now got the perfect excuse to go back 😉

April 27, 2017 at 9:50 am

Exactly! We were so excited that it was clear the whole time we were there that we forgot the wind was just as bad!

aeparker81
    April 27, 2017 at 7:00 pm

When we were last there we found that actually staying in a B&B is fine – they are like boutique hotels. I also remember being stood in the supermarket with £25 told to get a bottle of fizz for a friends Hen do… That got me 5, wine prices are a different world (one I liked)

May 1, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Wine prices were so good! If only I’d had room to bring a load back with me.

beingbuttons
    April 27, 2017 at 8:34 pm

This is such a useful post! I wish more people did a complete breakdown of how much things cost as then you realise how affordable some things are. I didn’t think I’d be able to go back to South Africa for a long time but now I’m going to have to look into it!

May 1, 2017 at 1:01 pm

I love reading budget breakdowns so I’ve been meaning to do them more often! South Africa is so reasonable too, I’d love to go back and maybe combine it with Namibia next time.

earthsmagicalplaces
    April 28, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Very helpful! Hoping to plan a trip to South Africa soon so I’ll be coming back to this post for sure… The safari is rather expensive but it’s such a once in a life time experience that splashing a bit more cash is surly worth it 🙂

May 1, 2017 at 1:02 pm

You can definitely do a safari for a lower price, but it was really nice to be able to do the classic luxury version once in a lifetime – and luckily the rest of the trip wasn’t too expensive to counteract it a bit!

alison abbott
    April 30, 2017 at 3:36 am

This is such a helpful post Lucy. I love the way you have broken it down and even if someone might not want to do the same things as your travels, it just shows how a bit of flexibility can give you so many different options. I personally only eat one big meal a day. It saves a ton and allows splurges on other things. I like to make a bit of a menu before I go. This way I can make changes if we are delayed, or have money left over. It’s impossible to predict how all will turn out.

May 1, 2017 at 1:04 pm

One big meal a day is a really good idea to keep costs down, we often do the same and just have a snack when we’re out and about – gives you more time for exploring too!

Mike Clegg - www.travelanddestinations.com
    April 30, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Super helpful post! SA is on my list so this gives me a good idea on how much I should budget! Thanks! 🙂

May 1, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Thanks, great to hear it’s been useful – and hope you enjoy South Africa when you get there!

Michaelite
    April 30, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Thank you for your comprehensive and useful post!

May 1, 2017 at 1:06 pm

You’re very welcome!

joannamatt@mightyessays
    May 1, 2017 at 7:34 am

Thanks for the great tips Lucy.Also, I loved your photographs.Especially,the close-up of lion.

May 1, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Thank you – seeing the lion was such an amazing moment! We’d been out on five game drives and he made us wait right until the end of the last one when we didn’t think it was going to happen, so it was even more special.

CLaire
    May 1, 2017 at 8:16 am

This is a fab post – very nice to see those costs broken down. I had no idea SA was so affordable. Even with the cost of the safari it’s not a huge budget-blower. Sweet!

May 2, 2017 at 5:30 pm

It’s one of those places where you can definitely afford the odd splurge as the rest of the time it’s pretty affordable – plus so many gorgeous beaches and walks you can do for free!

Kathryn Burrington
    May 1, 2017 at 12:39 pm

That’s not as expensive as I thought it would be. I certainly can’t do it this year but maybe next!

May 2, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Would definitely recommend a trip – the wildlife and landscapes were amazing!

thebritishberliner
    May 2, 2017 at 12:19 pm

I love the break-down Lucy. Very reasonable indeed and a great location for an exotic, but not too far away break!

May 2, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Thanks – yes you get a lot for your money, and the lack of jet lag from the UK/Europe’s a bonus too!

May 11, 2017 at 12:26 am

That’s a lot more affordable than I thought it’d be Lucy and you definitely packed a lot into your trip too. Seeing your SA posts has edged a safari trip right up to the top of our list and we’re hoping to go next year so I’ll be referring back to this super useful post, thank you.

May 12, 2017 at 5:46 pm

I’m such a safari convert after this trip, I’m already planning the next and would definitely go back to South Africa, it’s so diverse!

Arnold
    May 12, 2017 at 6:22 pm

I love your writing style. Every trip and every stay is included and expressed in numbers. I do the same thing too, but I’ve never thought there was someone else doing the same. Glad I found your site.

Africa is such an exotic place. Hope to get there one day. Thanks for sharing the pictures, story and numbers.

May 17, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Thank you, I’ve always found trip budget breakdowns so useful so thought I would do some myself too! And hope you do get to visit South Africa someday soon, it’s an amazing place.

David
    July 16, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Great article, thanks! I’m looking to maybe visit Cape Town next year using a 2 for 1 voucher. I visited Johannesburg in 2010 for the football World Cup and loved South Africa. I’ve heard Cape Town is even better. Did you ever consider visiting Johannesburg instead? PS – Naledi Bushlodge and Enkoveni Camp looks phenomenal!

July 25, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Thanks – we just did one night in Johannesburg on this trip but I’m sure it won’t be my last trip to South Africa so I’ll hopefully get chance to see more next time.

boon.bron
    July 17, 2017 at 8:49 am

Great post! Cape Town is definitely a beautiful city to visit with all it’s beautiful cultures, glad you got to write an article about it.

July 25, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Thanks, it’s a fantastic place and I’d love to go back someday!