Is this your first time On the Luce? If you’re new to the site you can find my posts from the last three years organised by country through the Destinations menu above, or by city or region on my Travel Past page. Or here are a few of my most popular and favourite posts to get you started:
Budget city guides
My ultra-budget backpacking days might be well behind me now, but I’m always looking to save money where I can so I can splurge on more exciting things. City break costs can start to add up, so I’ve collated all my best money-saving tips for sights, museums, views, food and transport on a budget in:
- UK: London and Edinburgh
- Europe: Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Berlin, Copenhagen and Madrid
- USA: New York and Las Vegas.
UK weekend guides
I love exploring the world, but there’s no place like home. So I’ve created 48-hour weekend itineraries featuring my top things to see and do in some of my favourite cities around the UK.
- England: Oxford, Bath, Cheltenham, Canterbury, Rye, Chester and York
- Wales: Cardiff
- Scotland: Glasgow.
Looking for tips for saving money, trip-planning or itinerary ideas – look no further!
- Alternative city guides for unusual things to do in Paris and London
- Ideas for alternatives to popular English destinations and some of the best French weekends
- First-timers guides for cruise and RV (motorhome) novices and visitors to Petra in Jordan
- What to see and do in Antibes, Annecy, Strasbourg, Lausanne, Sorrento, Santorini and Essaouira
- Save money on a US road trip with my top tips and a review of the US National Parks Pass
- Budget breakdowns for Jordan, Morocco, the Norwegian fjords and Southwest USA.
Top travel experiences
I’ve been lucky enough to do and see some amazing things and places around the world, but these are some of my favourite or most memorable experiences I’ve had along the way:
- Watching wild bears in Canada’s Great Bear Rainforest
- Seeing the temples of Petra by night, lit up with 1800 candles
- Climbing into the crater of Mount Vesuvius – and seeing the destruction it caused in Pompeii
- Flying over Mount Cook in New Zealand by helicopter (despite a fear of flying!)
- Learning to cook Moroccan food in Essaouira.
Train travel is my favourite way to get around – whether it’s a long-distance train across Australia or a scenic rail trip through Europe, it beats air travel for me any day. I’ve reviewed some of the most spectacular train journeys I’ve been on and shared tips and money-saving ideas for rail travellers:
- Tips for planning a European rail trip and saving money on trains in the UK
- Five great itinerary ideas for a one-week European rail adventure
- Epic train journeys: The Glacier Express in Switzerland, the Flam Railway in Norway, the Ffestiniog Railway in Wales, the Caledonian Sleeper to Scotland.
Then there are a few random posts from the last five years of blogging that mean something special to me:
- A look behind the scenes with the Blog Hop and my top lessons from five years of freelancing
- I come clean with my travel confessions and my fight with anxiety
- A trip back in time through my six ages of travel and my RTW trip (mis)adventures
- Inspirational female travellers from the early days of travel.
I do love a bit of nostalgia too, so if you want to see where I’ve been and how the blog has changed over the years, you can go back in time with my annual blog birthday posts (Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4 and Year 5) and my annual travel reviews (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016).