My first trip of the year was a whistle-stop (and slightly snowy) visit to Amsterdam for the city’s Light Festival, followed by a wintery breaks to Falmouth in Cornwall and a visit to a new country on a ski trip to Bansko in Bulgaria. Spring saw me explore my own backyard in the Cotwolds and Cheltenham. In May I took a rail trip through France and Italy, with stops in Avignon, Ventimiglia, Cinque Terre and Colmar. Then it was back to Canada to follow in the footsteps of Anne of Green Gables on Prince Edward Island, visit waterfalls and wineries in Niagara and return to old favourite New York.
Coming up: Next I’m heading to Northumberland for a girls’ weekend followed by sunny Cyprus in July.
My top ten travel wishlist
- Mayan temples and stunning beaches in Southern Mexico and Belize
- Listening to jazz in New Orleans
- Sailing around the Italian lakes
- Wildlife safaris and sand dunes in Namibia
- Speeding across Japan on a bullet train
- Island-hopping around the Caribbean
- Watching the Northern Lights from the Arctic Circle
- Sailing past glaciers in Alaska
- Wine-tasting in the vineyards of South America
- Exploring the wild Scottish Highlands