In pictures

The weird world of Pommery // In pictures

Pommery Champagne house

I’ve been on a few winery tours and they usually follow the same format – a tour of the cellars, a talk about how the wine is made and a tasting – so was expecting more of the same at Pommery Champagne house. But what we got was altogether more surreal. It started off normally, with a descent down 116 lamp-lit stairs into the cellars as we were taken through tall chalk caves carved by Roman slaves. But as well as stacks of bottles, they were also filled with modern art installations – from video and sculpture to light and sound exhibits – which change every few months. They ranged from the odd (an orchestra of musical instruments that played themselves and a huge illuminated cone stretching upwards) to the totally bizarre (a line of toe-tapping empty Wellington boots and a group of singing skulls). We probably could have done with a few tasting samples first and I can’t say I learnt a lot about Champagne, but it’s one I won’t forget.

Pommery cellars
Pommery cellars
Art exhibits at Pommery Champagne house
Art exhibits

The weird world of Pommery Champagne house, Reims – On the Luce travel blog

Kathryn
    April 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Sounds great fun!

2 Rivers Photos
    April 17, 2012 at 5:05 pm

By just looking at the images, I would’ve thought you went on tour of a mine 🙂 Very unique.

April 17, 2012 at 7:01 pm

It does look a bit like that! It was quite a place, the tunnels go on for miles so it would be great to see some of the other parts away from the main route.

f-stop mama
    April 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This sounds like a lot of fun. I love the photo of the stairs going into the cellar! Nice shot 🙂

April 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Thanks, those stairs were amazing, they were so worn down on the edges from years of use. A few of the older members of the tour found climbing back up a bit of a challenge though!

April 17, 2012 at 7:00 pm

How strange! If you’d had the champagne first you might have thought you were seeing things!

April 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I think maybe the art might have made a bit more sense to me after a drink or two!

Bridget Pigott
    April 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm

This sounds like a place that tries to convince you you are drunk before you get any alcohol. Some years ago Les and I broke down in Epernay right outside our hotel and had to spend three days touring champagne houses while the car was being mended (it was August so most places were shut). I can recommend it as a place to be stranded.

April 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Yes I think we could have done with a few glasses first! Still haven’t made it to Epernay but that will have to be my next Champagne visit – not a bad place at all to be stranded, at least you had no chance of going thirsty!

andrealweaver
    April 19, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Wow that looks awesome. I too love the first shot of the stairs. Old wine cellers are really neat to wander around, but I do love sampling the most!

April 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks, I’m with you on the tasting – the cellars are really atmospheric but can’t beat actually trying the produce!