Reviewed

A night behind bars: The Malmaison Oxford prison hotel reviewed

The Malmaison hotel in Oxford

Unless I decide to take up a life of crime, a stay at the Malmaison in Oxford is hopefully the only way I’ll ever spend a night behind bars. And in this unique hotel you get a lot more luxury now than the last people who got locked up here. The building started off as Oxford Castle and was demolished and rebuilt over the years before being turned into a Victorian jail.

It stayed as a prison until 1996 when it closed down and the building got sold off to the Malmaison hotel chain. The company specialise in turning historic buildings into boutique hotels – others include an old postal sorting office, a church and even a brothel – so have kept a lot of the original features while turning it from a place of punishment to one of pleasure.

Read more: A Weekend in Oxford: A 48-hour itinerary

Malmaison Oxford hotel review

The Radcliffe Camera, Oxford

Oxford’s golden stone buldings

The location

The Malmaison Oxford is located in the middle of Oxford’s redeveloped Castle Quarter, surrounded by various bars and restaurants, an art gallery and Oxford Castle and Prison, where you can find out more about the history of the castle and prison. You’re in the centre of town so can easily walk to the Oxford colleges and the main shopping street in a few minutes.

It’s also an easy walk in the other direction to the train station. Or if you’re travelling by car they have a valet car park – but it’s pricey at £25 a night and you can’t leave your car there beyond check out time. A cheaper option is to park in one of the park and ride car parks on the outskirts of Oxford, which also avoids the confusing drive through Oxford’s one-way system.

The hotel in Oxford’s Castle Quarter

The hotel in Oxford’s Castle Quarter

The rooms

The Malmaison Oxford has a mixture of rooms, with suites named after former prison governors and modern rooms in the adjoining buildings. But if you’re spending the night in a prison hotel you really want to be staying in A-wing’s converted cells. Rooms are made up of three cells – one is the bathroom and two have been knocked through for the bedroom. They still have a lot of character, with original iron doors, vaulted ceilings and thick walls, making it incredibly quiet.

Things are a lot more luxurious now though, decorated in deep reds and browns with a big comfy bed, flat-screen TV, iPod dock and fast wifi, and the room is big enough to have a table and chairs. Our bathroom had a roll-top bath and a big walk-in shower, tons of soft towels and full-size toiletries (marked ‘Steal me’ in a homage to the building’s past residents).

Former prison cell rooms at the Malmaison Oxford hotel

Our cell room, converted from three old prison cells

The food

As part of our Sunday Stopover deal (see below), we needed to spend £75 on food and drink at the hotel, so we booked a table for dinner in the Chez Mal Brasserie. It’s underground in the former solitary confinement wing, with old pipes running along the ceiling and an original steel staircase. The moody lighting suited the space at night, but it might seem a bit dingy in daytime. On a sunny day you can also eat out in the exercise yard or on the roof terrace.

The menu is a mixture of modern British/European dishes, like steaks, fishcakes or roasted duck breast. The food was decent and our waitress was lovely, but it’s quite pricey so if you’re not on a package there are plenty of other places to eat nearby. Drinks-wise there’s also a cocktail bar in the old visitors room on the third floor, with high ceilings and comfy sofas.

The Chez Mal basement bar and restaurant

The Malmaison’s basement bar and restaurant

The facilities

There’s not much in the way of extra facilities at the Malmaison – no pool or gym. But for me the best bit about staying at this Oxford prison hotel were its original features. The cell rooms are all set around a vast, three-storey atrium which still has the original wrought-iron stairs and walkways. It’s all carpeted in thick red carpets with some quirky oversized furniture.

There was hardly anyone around when I stayed so it was perfect to take photos, especially with the colourful lighting at night. Outside there’s a terrace in what was the prison’s exercise yard which hosts events like film screenings – including, appropriately enough, the odd showing of The Shawshank Redemption. And the Cell 3 dining room is available to hire for private parties.

The hotel atrium and entrance

The hotel atrium and entrance

My tips

• Guests are… a mixture of tourists, couples and people visiting Oxford on business, but you’re only likely to see them in the bar or brasserie.
  • Staff are… friendly, passionate about the hotel, but not all very experienced.
  • Don’t forget… to go and check out the original cell down in the basement so you can see the less luxurious conditions the previous residents used to live in.
  • Useful to know… if you’re not in a tariff with breakfast included, it’ll set you back £15 per person for a continental breakfast selection.
Cells at the Oxford prison hotel

Signs of the hotel’s past life

The details

Room prices at the Malmaison vary hugely – the modern rooms in the House of Correction range from £120–£235 a night, cells from £155–£265 and suites from £250–£465. There are also various special offer packages available. I did their Sunday Stopover deal which lets you stay in a standard room for £45 (or a cell for £85) on a Sunday night if you spend £75 on food and drink.

A review of the Malmaison Oxford, a converted Victorian jail that's now a luxury boutique Oxford prison hotel with bar and restaurant. #Oxford #hotel #Malmaison

This article contains affiliate links, where I get a small commission at no extra cost to you, thanks.

Browsing the Atlas
    August 16, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Very cool. This is exactly the type of place I like to stay in when I’m traveling — something unique to the area. I’ll have to remember this if I’m ever in Oxford.

August 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Me too, I’m always looking for unique and interesting places to stay, especially somewhere with a story. If you do ever make it Oxford let me know – I lived there for a couple of years so have lots of recommendations!

Julie from Sunsets Everywhere
    August 16, 2013 at 4:32 pm

This is really, really, really cool! Awesome review. I love old buildings like this and would really enjoy staying at a hotel that’s an old prison. It’s pretty admirable that they did something productive with space, while still paying tribute to its origins.

August 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I love old buildings with character so had wanted to stay here for ages. Loved how they have kept so much of the original feel of the place while making the rooms so modern and comfortable. I stayed in another converted prison in a hostel in Christchurch in New Zealand that was a bit less fancy but also really cool.

The Bow Ho
    August 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I actually just stayed there this past week! I loved the hotel, it was so unique!

August 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

How funny! It’s fab isn’t it? I loved the atmosphere and it would definitely go back.

Suzanne Courtney
    August 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm

It looks fab Lucy although I’m not sure I could stay there – bit creepy? I have stayed at the Malmaison Birmingham a few times, the converted postal sorting office, and it’s always been lovely 🙂

August 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Inside the rooms it was more cosy than creepy – and I had an amazing night sleep as as well as the thick walls keeping all the noise out there were shutters to keeping all the light out – but the atrium area was very atmospheric and just a little bit eerie at night. I’d like to try out more of their hotels though, the sorting office sounds great.

Heather on her travels
    August 16, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I’m sure I saw this on Lewis? Very photogenic!

August 20, 2013 at 11:36 am

Yes I think it was, and apparently it was in an episode of Porridge too!

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports
    August 16, 2013 at 11:33 pm

So cool! I stayed in a Four Seasons in Istanbul that was also a converted old prison, but unfortunately they didn’t maintain any elements of the old prison other than the building itself – just turned it into a swanky and fabulous hotel, so I can’t complain! It’s apparently the prison the movie “Midnight Express” was based upon, but I’ve never seen the film.

August 20, 2013 at 11:44 am

I saw that film years ago and can vaguely remember the building! Sounds like a good place to stay though – it’s always interesting to be somewhere that’s had a history.

jlhilleary
      August 25, 2013 at 6:58 am

Lauren- I loved the Istanbul Four Seasons, especially the views from the rooftop terrace at night! My favorite city in the world. I had the most wonderful brunch in the garden restaurant. Thanks for bringing back that memory.
      Based on that great experience, Lucy, I think this Oxford hotel may have a place in my future! It may become a thing to visit prison hotels around the globe! 🙂 Great post and photos!

Lauren @ Peaks and Passports
        August 26, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I couldn’t agree more about the Istanbul Four Seasons! That rooftop was to-die-for and we had one of the best dinners of my life in that same garden restaurant. I’d love to go back!

traveljody
    August 17, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Looks great, I love cool and quirky! Will keep it in mind when we eventually make it to Oxford!

August 20, 2013 at 11:45 am

Hope you do get to make it there, it’s quite a place!

bordenboredom
    August 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Better hotel than jail…..

August 20, 2013 at 11:45 am

Definitely – having been into the old cell and seen how little space there was I’m glad I was a guest not an inmate!

Megan
    August 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Ah! I LOVE this…

August 20, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thanks, I really liked how they had kept so much of the original building and the features from when it was a prison, made it different from the usual hotel buildings.

amaatk123
    August 18, 2013 at 8:33 am

I’ve been to Oxford many times as have a friend living there. It does look a cool place. And of course featured in an episode of Lewis. Or was it Morse? One of them. I need to put it on my wish-list I think. Trouble is, my son-in-law works for The Marriott so we get cheap rates there. I’ve stayed in a number of Marriotts here and abroad.

August 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

Always hard to argue with a discounted hotel! If you do make it Oxford again you could always go for drinks or dinner there and have a bit of a look around while you’re there?

Paul W
    August 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Lucy,

Thank you for the review. It was our pleasure to have you here and we hope to see you again very soon.

For all those wishing to stay, we always have great deals on our website so look out for those. You can always contact us directly too!

Thanks again Lucy.

Kind Regards

Paul Watson
    General Manager @theoxfordmal

August 26, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Thanks so much Paul, we had a really great stay, it’s such a fabulous building – hope to be back soon.

Arianwen
    August 29, 2013 at 12:39 pm

This looks like a really cool experience. I just started a new job in Sydney at the National Arts School, which is a converted prison. Very cool indeed, but a bit creepy to know that someone was hung there once, many years ago!

August 29, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Congratulations on the job. Sounds like an interesting – if slightly creepy – place to be working!