My first trip of the year was a whistlestop trip to Amsterdam for its Light Festival, followed by a wintery breaks to Falmouth in Cornwall and a first trip to Bulgaria, skiing in Bansko. Spring meant exploring my backyard in the Cotwolds and Cheltenham. In May I took a rail trip through France and Italy, with stops in Avignon, Ventimiglia, Cinque Terre and Colmar. Then it was back to Canada to follow in the footsteps of Anne of Green Gables on Prince Edward Island and visit waterfalls and wineries in Niagara, along with a return to New York. Then in summer it was off to sunny Cyprus, followed by a return to Edinburgh for the Fringe festival and castle-hopping around Thuringia in Germany. And in autumn I tried out a new eco village near Paris and took the train to the top of Europe in Switzerland.
Coming up: next I’ll be doing a foodie road trip around South Wales and heading back to Edinburgh.
My top ten travel wishlist
- Mayan temples and stunning beaches in Southern Mexico and Belize
- Listening to jazz in New Orleans
- Sailing around the Italian lakes
- Wildlife safaris and sand dunes in Namibia
- Speeding across Japan on a bullet train
- Island-hopping around the Caribbean
- Watching the Northern Lights from the Arctic Circle
- Sailing past glaciers in Alaska
- Wine-tasting in the vineyards of South America
- Exploring the wild Scottish Highlands