Monthly updates

Culture and cookery in Catania, Sicily

Fruit and vegetable stalls in Catania market, Sicily

As part of my mission to ‘Take 12 Trips’ in 2014, I’m taking at least one trip each month – which can be anything from a local day out to an international trip. So far this year my trips have taken me from the North of England to the souks of Morocco and then back to my old hometown of London. But May was my busiest travel month yet. A few days after getting back from the Norwegian fjords and before I’d even finished unpacking, I was back at the airport again. This time I was heading off for a quick jaunt to one of my favourite countries – Italy – for a couple of days of culture and cookery in the Sicilian city of Catania.

Baroque architecture in Catania, Sicily

Some of the ornate Baroque architecture of Catania

Earlier this year I got the chance to chat to TV presenter and adventurer Ben Fogle, who’s been working with Celebrity Cruises to develop a range of new ‘Great Adventures’ shore excursions. They include all sorts of things, from kayaking through the Stockholm archipelago to making gelato in Sorrento. But one that caught my eye was the Sicilian Gastronomic Tour, with a tour of Catania’s markets followed by a cookery class and lunch with chef and cookbook author Eleonora Consoli. So when I was invited to go to Sicily and try it out for myself – along with Suzanne from The Travelbunny – I jumped at the chance.

Catania is Sicily’s second-largest city, but when it comes to tourism it tends to be overshadowed by others – like Taormina with its Greek amphitheatre, Agrigento with its Roman mosaics or Syracuse with its spectacular architecture. Catania itself has a bit of a reputation as being chaotic and scruffy, so we weren’t sure what to expect. But we were charmed. Yes there’s lots of graffiti and the groups of young guys hanging around at night make you a bit cautious. But there are also beautiful buildings around every corner, whether that’s a Baroque cathedral or a crumbling palazzo. There’s a real buzz to the city too, from the frenzy of the fish market to the bars and restaurants packed with students from the city’s university.

Mount Etna at sunset in Catania, Sicily

Mount Etna peeking out from the clouds at sunset

Thousands of years of invaders – from the Romans and Byzantines to the Arabs and Normans – have all left their mark on Catania, both in the city’s architecture and culture as well as in its food. The history of Catania is closely tied in with Mount Etna, which towers up behind the city – well so we’re told, she was playing it coy and kept her peak well-hidden beneath a layer of cloud the whole time we were there. Back in the 1600s, a combination of a huge eruption and an earthquake wiped out most of the city and over 30,000 of its inhabitants. So Catania was rebuilt in Baroque style, with wide streets, huge plazas and endless ornate churches and palaces built using the black volcanic rock produced by Mount Etna.

After a day soaking up some of Catania’s culture, the next day was all about its cuisine. Our gastronomic tour started off with a visit to the city’s fish market with local guide Maurizio. Early in the morning the place was humming with activity. Fishermen were unloading piles of fresh seafood – with everything from trays of deep pink prawns to huge swordfish, easily a couple of metres long. As well as fish there are also sections of the market for meat, cheese and vegetables. The volcanic soil around Etna is incredibly fertile, so the stalls were stacked up high with brightly coloured local fruit and vegetables.

Tomatoes in the market in Catania, Sicily

Piles of fresh – and cheap – tomatoes in the market in Catania

Next it was time to put some of this produce to use and create some classic Sicilian dishes. We headed up into the foothills of Etna to the house of Eleonora Consoli. Unfortunately Eleonora had been taken ill, but we were left in the very capable hands of her daughter Monica. I can’t eat gluten, so she very kindly created a whole menu that didn’t involve any wheat – from a classic tomato sauce and a sweet and sour peperonata, to veal meatballs wrapped in lemon leaves and a refreshing cinnamon jelly. Most were fairly simple dishes to create but all were bursting with flavour and freshness.

Post-lunch and a few glasses of Mount Etna red wine, we were tempted by an afternoon snooze. But Maurizio had other ideas and instead took us for a whistlestop tour of the coast outside Catania, where we saw black sands, volcanic islands and a Norman castle perched on a rock. But then it was time to head back to the airport, so a proper exploration will have to wait until next time – and there definitely will be a next time. Even a quick visit was enough to become enchanted by Sicily’s amazing food, scenery and culture.

Cookery class, Catania, Sicily

Suzanne and I with Monica Consoli at the end of our cookery class

I’ll have lots of posts coming up about my trip to Catania as well as my Norwegian fjord adventures. Then next month I’ll be heading back to Italy for the start of my first ever cruise, heading south from Venice through Croatia, Greece and Turkey. Are you taking part in the #Take12Trips challenge and where are your travels taking you in June?

Hadel
    May 26, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Reblogged this on Hadel.

Jean-Pierre Fabre Bruot
    May 26, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Nice trip, so sad you only had 2 days! Catania cuisine is one of the best in Sicily, next time you’ll have to taste local specialties such as the Masculini (local fresh anchovies) and the Mucco (new born baby fish).

May 27, 2014 at 11:22 am

Yes it was definitely not enough time in Sicily, or even in Catania, I will be back though and will have to try a lot more of the seafood next time!

Debra Beilke
    May 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Gorgeous!

May 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm

What a great experience! Enjoy the cruise.

May 27, 2014 at 11:24 am

Thanks Darlene, it’s going to be a really new and different experience for me but I’m really looking forward to trying it out!

Allen Capoferri
    May 26, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Thank you for sharing your trip. Everything looks inviting. Including the tomatoes!

May 27, 2014 at 11:24 am

Thanks – the fresh produce in that market was so colourful and enticing, I have a whole market post coming up soon as I couldn’t stop snapping away!

holidayaddict
    May 26, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Oh how lovely! And I can’t wait to follow your cruise adventure. I’m off to Croatia too very soon. Local travel is fab, but I can’t wait to venture further afield for the first time in what feels like ages!

May 27, 2014 at 11:25 am

Have a fantastic time in Croatia – hope the sun shines for you! We have one day in Dubrovnik so only a tiny taster but I would love to go and travel around Slovenia and Croatia sometime.

Heyjude
    May 26, 2014 at 7:52 pm

What a great trip! I love italian food. Had some of the best food ever in a greengrocer’s shop in Syracuse – a long time ago and a long story too! I look forward to your Norway posts…

May 27, 2014 at 11:49 am

Italian food is one of my favourites too – and I was so impressed that they managed to make so many great dishes without gluten too as you tend to think of it as being an integral part of the diet! Lots of Norway posts and pics to come in the next month too.

Tirun
    May 27, 2014 at 6:58 am

Great blog, A cruise is great value for money. Pay once for everything and you are done: accommodation, meals and most entertainment is taken care of in one go!

May 27, 2014 at 11:50 am

Thanks, yes it’s going to be really interesting to try it out – I like the idea of being able to get a taster of lots of different destinations too.

aBitofCulture
    May 27, 2014 at 9:42 am

I absolutely love Sicily but had read some bad things about Catania so overlooked it on my visits. Surprised it looks so nice. Shame you couldn’t see Etna – a trip combining Etna, Catania and Syracuse sounds right up my street.

May 27, 2014 at 11:56 am

Catania does seem to have a bit of a bad reputation but we were really pleasantly surprised – there’s more than enough to do for a day or two and tons of great food. Would love to get out and see Etna though (there’s a fab train that runs around the base that I really fancy) and beyond.

Global Residence
    May 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm

An inspiring write up!

May 29, 2014 at 10:50 am

Thanks so much – I’ve got lots more Sicily foodie posts coming up too!

May 28, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Memories brought back of a fabulous trip Lucy. Thanks for being such a great travelling companion 🙂

May 29, 2014 at 10:50 am

You too Suzanne, look forward to reading your write ups too!

unfinishedtravel
    May 28, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Those tomatoes look amazing!

May 29, 2014 at 10:51 am

The produce was just amazing, just wish I could’ve brought some home with me!

May 29, 2014 at 9:53 pm

The jet set lifestyle beckons, Lucy 🙂 Sounds like a heck of a year so far. I love that shot with Etna on the horizon.

June 4, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Thanks Jo, yes it’s been a busy one so far and a couple of hectic months to come too – then maybe a rest in the garden for most of August!

thetrustedtraveller
    June 3, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Sounds like you had a great trip and really enjoyed Catania. I’ve always been intrigued by Sicily so I’ll be looking forward to reading more about it, especially th cooking class and architecture.

June 4, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Thanks, yes it was so much nicer a city than I was expecting – the cookery was fab too, even writing it up has made me so hungry!

Madhu
    June 7, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Lucky you! I have never been on a cruise myself, but am always tempted to try it at least once. Look forward to your reports Lucy. Have a great time.

June 22, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Thanks Madhu, there will be lots of posts to come in the next month!

mrted57
    June 15, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Thanks, I’m adding Catania to my must see list.

June 22, 2014 at 1:17 pm

That’s great, it’s often overlooked in favour of the more famous destinations in Sicily but I really liked it.