Guides

Alternative things to do in Paris

Paris Louvre museum

Paris is full of world-famous buildings and attractions – the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, Sacré-Cœur and Montmartre. But what about on your second visit, or third or fourth? When you’ve seen the big names there’s still plenty more to see off the beaten track in the City of Light. Here’s my pick of some of the best alternative and unusual things to see and do in Paris.

Climbed the Eiffel Tower? See it from the Montparnasse Tower

Climbing up to the top of the Eiffel Tower is a Paris must-do, but the only problem is when you’re up there you can’t see the city’s most famous building – because you’re in it. So instead head to the top of the Montparnasse Tower, the city centre’s only skyscraper. The rootop viewing platform is a bit lower at 210 metres compared to the 275 metres of the Eiffel Tower’s upper level, but you get a prime view of the Tower. You also don’t normally need to queue and if you don’t want to pay for the viewing platform you can just head to the bar on the 56th floor and get a free view with your drink. The best time to go is around dusk when you can watch the lights come on over the city and the Eiffel Tower sparkle on the hour.

Montparnasse Tower view

The view of the Eiffel Tower from the top of the Montparnasse Tower

Seen the Mona Lisa? Explore the city’s unusual museums

The Louvre and Musée d’Orsay are Paris’ biggest and busiest museums. But once you’ve seen the Mona Lisa and Monet’s waterlilies, there are a whole host of smaller – and in some cases weirder – museums across the city to explore. If you’re interested in science and industry, you could try the Musée des Arts et Métiers, and make sure you don’t miss the amazing steampunk-style Metro station beneath the museum. If you’re interested in natural history you could check out the Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle next to the Botanical Gardens, or for anthropology try the Musée du Quai Branly. Or if that’s all a bit too mainstream there are also museums dedicated to fairground rides, perfume, the police and erotic art.

Arts et Métiers metro station

The steampunk-style metro station at Arts et Métiers

Strolled along the Seine? Cruise the canals instead

A walk along the Seine takes you past some of Paris’ most famous sights, but you might have to dodge people selling knock-off handbags and flashing Eiffel Towers. For a more low-key waterside experience head to one of Paris’ canals. Closest to the city is the Canal St Martin, a 4.5km waterway that links the Seine to the Basin de la Villette. There are trendy cafés, boutiques and bistros along the water’s edge and the shady banks are packed with picnickers on summer evenings. You can walk or cycle along the towpath or take a boat trip along the canal – part of which goes underground. Or if that’s sounds too busy head further out to the Canal de l’Ourcq, which runs for 100km through 10 locks up to the north-east of the city.

Canal St Martin, Paris

Along the banks of the Canal St Martin

Been underground at the catacombs? Tunnel into the sewers

Not your usual tourist attraction, the creepy tunnels of the catacombs are piled with human bones. The skeletons of six million Parisians were moved underground when the city’s cemeteries ran out of space in the 1780s. And now people queue down the street to go and see them, but they’re not Paris’ only underground attraction. You can also get under the surface of the city at the Musée des Égouts de Paris – aka the Sewer Museum. The sewerage system was built in the 1800s and mirrors the streets above, right down to the road signs. Years ago you could take a boat trip along the sewers, but it’s all a bit more hygienic now, and surprisingly unsmelly. It’s worth a visit if you’re interested in engineering, a Les Misérables fan who wants to follow in the footsteps of Jean Valjean or looking for a cool spot on a hot day.

Sewer museum in Paris

Exhibits down in the tunnels at the Sewer Museum

Visited Oscar Wilde’s grave at Père Lachaise? See Rin Tin Tin’s at the dog cemetery

Paris’ cemeteries are more like parks, with lawns, ornate tombs and statues. The most famous is Père-Lachaise, where you can leave a lipstick mark on Oscar Wilde’s grave and a cigarette on Jim Morrison’s. But just as beautiful and much quieter are the cemeteries at Montparnasse and Montmartre, built around the same time and with their share of famous names too. Or for something different, head out to Asnières-sur-Seine on the outskirts of Paris to the Cimetiere des Chiens, or dog cemetery. It opened in 1899 for rich Parisians to pay tribute to their pets – and not just dogs either, you also find graves for cats, birds, horses, monkeys and the occasional lion. It even has its own famous resident, TV star dog Rin Tin Tin.

Montparnasse cemetery

Ornate tombs in the Montparnasse cemetery

Wandered through the Luxembourg Gardens? Take a walk along the Promenade Plantée

Paris’ parks are a great spot for a bit of people watching. But when you’ve seen the Luxembourg Gardens and the Tuileries, head to the east of Paris to the Promenade Plantée – or planted walkway. Like the High Line in New York, this narrow urban park is raised above the ground on an old railway line. The old Vincennes railway line was closed down in 1969 and scheduled for demolition until it was saved and turned into a public park. The Promenade Plantée starts at the Viaduc des Arts, where the arches underneath the tracks are used for arts and craft studios. It then runs for 1.5 km as far as the Bois de Vincennes, with bamboo, roses, wisteria, cherry and maple trees mixed in with archways, benches and ponds.

Promenade plantee

Autumn colours on the Promenade Plantée

What are your favourite Parisian hidden gems and unusual attractions?

When you've seen the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Arc de Triomphe, here's my pick of some of the best unusual and alternative things to do in Paris – ontheluce.com

ifollowislands
    January 24, 2015 at 4:06 pm

A fabulously written post Lucy! I haven’t been to Paris for years, mainly because I was put off by all the touristy things. But your article makes me want to go there again, I especially love #1 and #3. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

January 24, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Thanks so much! I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Paris so am always looking for new and interesting things to do out there – haven’t done a boat trip on the canals yet (last two trips have been in December so a bit chilly!) so that’s one for next time.

Madhu
    January 25, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Wonderful suggestions Lucy. I never found time for the promenade plantee last time, although it was high on my list. Paris is too distracting 🙂

January 28, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Thanks Madhu, I know exactly what you mean – every time I go to Paris I plan to go to the Palace of Versailles but everytime I get distracted and don’t make it out of the city!

Wilbur's Travels
    January 25, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Some great ideas there. I have only done the Canal St Martin walk that you mention, but will definitely do one or two of your suggestions next time. I love the markets in Paris, food ones everywhere and the fabulous flea market at Porte de Clignancourt (or similar spelling)! Jazz is also a Paris favourite and Autor de Midi et Minuit in Montmartre does free jam sessions on a Thursday which is always excellent and another in Montmartre called Blue Note just expects you to buy one drink as an entrance fee. We saw a brilliant Brazilian chanteuse there last time we went for €5 each.

January 28, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Thanks for your suggestions too – my dad is a huge jazz fan but we’ve never been to see any in Paris so will definitely try out those places in Montmartre next time we’re there.

kirbymeehan
    January 26, 2015 at 10:36 am

I’m not a fan of Paris, but for various reasons I am giving it another chance. Thanks for these tips. I need inspiration to do different things in Paris this time around, if I am to really give it a fair chance of impressing me. You’ve really helped.

January 28, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Hope I can help Paris win you over – some cities it takes longer than others but there are some great things to discover!

Boum
    January 26, 2015 at 7:22 pm

This is a superb article, very interesting, strangely intrigued be The Catacombs, I’ve visited Paris on a few occasions loving it every time and always finding little gems off the beaten track, I have also written a post about Paris on my blog (Boum! Travels), have a read, hopefully it will bring back memories or inspire another trip.

January 28, 2015 at 1:03 pm

The catacombs are really fascinating, such a strange thing to open up as a tourist attraction if you think about it (though the sewers probably even more so!). Will check out your site, always nice to relive some Paris memories.

Maddie
    January 26, 2015 at 8:30 pm

This is very cool 🙂 I’ve been to Paris a few times now but will never turn down an opportunity for another visit. Nice to see a few options that I’d never heard of in here.

January 28, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I can never say no to Paris either! There always seems to be something new and interesting to discover, how ever many times I’ve been there.

January 26, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Some lovely alternatives to the mainstream tourist sights Lucy but I really need to go back to Paris and check the big ones out before I delve deeper – it’s been way to long since I’ve given the city the attention it deserves!

January 28, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Suzanne, yes it’s quite nice to mix things up – do a famous sight then do a more unusual one when you want to get away from the crowds!

erinklema
    January 27, 2015 at 6:29 am

I love this list, Lucy. Pinned it for future travels. It has been 14 years since I was in Paris, so I’d like to do some of those touristy things again. After that, this is the side of Paris I’d love to explore, so thanks for sharing!

January 28, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Great, hope it comes in useful when you make it back! Will be interesting for you to see how things have changed over 14 years, cities never stay the same for long, I find the same with London even though I usually go back once a month there’s always something new to see.

Packing my Suitcase
    January 27, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Such a lovely post!! These picture are breath taking! I must say that even though I have been to Paris a few time and even lived there, I still didn’t do some of the items of your list… next time I will spare some time to climb the Montparnasse tower and visit Rin Tin Tin’s grave <3

January 28, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I always find that when I live somewhere I see less then when I visit, it’s too easy to put things off if they’re on your doorstep. I’ve spent a lot of time in Paris but keep finding new excuses to go back!

Packing my Suitcase
        February 2, 2015 at 11:04 am

Same here!! I recently went to visit my family in Brazil and for the first time I was a tourist in my city hahaha I decided to explore things I have never did before when I lived there. One more reason to remember to explore the city where I live and its surroundings 😀

10000milegirl
    February 1, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Awesome post! Paris definitely has a lot more to offer than many people may think! My personal favourite things to do in Paris are wander around the Rue Mouffetard markets in the Latin Quarter (literally feel like you are in rurual france, not the city!) and not much beats watching the sun come up from montmartre still tipsy from a night out

February 2, 2015 at 11:04 am

I’ve not managed to stay up quite late enough to catch a Montmartre sunrise yet but I will work on that next time! I’ve not been to the Rue Mouffetard markets either yet so that’s one to check out too, I love Parisian markets.

10000milegirl
        February 3, 2015 at 5:49 am

Yeah the Rue Moufftetard ones really reminded me on rural markets in the South of France, also there are a few great (and well priced) crepe places on that road as well! Mmm

Shelley @Travel-Stained
    February 3, 2015 at 3:00 am

What a great idea for a post! There are so many ultra touristy things to do in Paris, that its easy to miss out on some of the other options. Now, if I could just get to Paris for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th time… 😉

February 3, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Thanks, there’s definitely enough to do in Paris to keep you going for at least a 10th visit I think!

ZenD
    February 3, 2015 at 7:06 am

Love the Petit Palais museum as well! Paris is gorgeous in every way! Very well written article.. makes me want to visit once again! 🙂

February 3, 2015 at 1:10 pm

I’ve not been to the Petit Palais yet so that’s one to try out next time, thanks!

mrbelltravels
    February 11, 2015 at 6:44 pm

What a really interesting piece on a city that I’d love to explore more. I’m always a bit unsure of Paris but this has helped me make up my mind that I must return and do more stuff off the beaten track. Thanks!

February 13, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Thanks so much! I think a lot of people get put off Paris after a bad experience in some of the really touristy areas but there are some great things to discover away from there.

l.wilder
    February 15, 2015 at 4:02 am

I love this. I haven’t been to Paris yet but I hope it’s in the near future. I will keep this list in handy when I do. 🙂

February 24, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Hope it comes in handy – you’re spoilt for choice with things to do in Paris!

lostsoul2015
    February 18, 2015 at 11:36 am

Thank you, it is written so beautifully. I was in Paris several years ago and I will definitely go there again in a few years time. I will still remember the most famous sights so it will be nice to explore some of the places you have mentioned in your post.

February 24, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Thanks so much, Paris is one of those places where you can keep uncovering different layers of things to do. I like to try and mix up some of the famous things and a few of the more unusual ones too as it can get very busy there!

lostsoul2015
        February 24, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I have been reading a book called The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris – it was recommended to me as a relaxing book. The descriptions of Paris together with your photos make me want to go there again soon 🙂

February 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Sounds like a great book (Paris and chocolate, what’s not to like!), will have to check that one out.

khanewala
    February 22, 2015 at 7:29 am

I like the farmer’s markets of Paris. There is one in Place St. Medard (at the bottom of Rue Mouffetard) which I counted as a special favourite for its fruits whenever I’m in Paris in May. My wife’s favourite is one on Boulevard de Port Royale where she loves to look for fish and poultry twice a week. There’s a nice daily market in Rue Daguerre where we shop for cheese sometimes.

For something completely different, I spent an afternoon sitting in the Trocadero watching a rollerblading and skateboarding competition. Nowadays you can join the Friday rollerblading around the streets of Paris.

February 24, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I’ve heard about the rollerblading on Fridays but not seen it yet so will have to go and take a look next time I’m there (purely as an observer, I’m terrible on wheels!). Thanks for the farmer’s market tips too, there are a couple of new ones for me to try out there.

jessca14
    February 22, 2015 at 6:04 pm

I love your blog! I am also a part time traveler, just trying to see the world when I can. I was fortunate enough to have been able to visit Paris, but was only able to stay for a 24 hour period. I felt like the definition of a tourist. These suggestions are fantastic and I hope to go see as many of these alternative sights on my next trip there.

February 24, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Thanks so much, great to meet another part-time traveller! I’ve had a few destinations where I just got a quick taste but it’s a good way to get feel for a place and work out where you want to go back and spend more time – Paris is always high on my list, I don’t seem to be able to get enough of it!

jessejohnson1
    February 28, 2015 at 4:32 am

J’aime Paris <3

March 3, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Me too! Not sure when my next trip there will be but I’m always drawn back.

Uptourist
    March 24, 2015 at 12:53 am

The view and shot is amazing. I guess so many people think that they can only explore it by climbing it. Nice idea.

April 5, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Yes I love to have the tower has part of the skyline so it never made so much sent to me to climb to the top!

Stephen Alvarado
    April 4, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Loved Paris when I went last summer! Never made it to Montparnasse, but it’s on my list of things to do next time I’m back. One of my favorite offbeat places to go in Paris was Parc de Sceaux down in the southern suburbs. Huge green park full of hiking trails, some beautiful gardens and ponds and even a little chateau at the top of the hill. Easy to get to via the B line, just hop off at Sceaux. 🙂

April 5, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Thanks for the tip – I’m always on the lookout for new things to see and do in Paris so will have to check out the Parc de Sceaux when I’m there next.

blusabbia
    April 27, 2015 at 11:40 am

Absolutely loved Paris when I went in late 2013! Am hopefully going back next year, can you recommend any local parks that stood out you, and also any cute alleyways or lanes with eatery places?

April 28, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Rue Montorgueil is a good street for lots of restaurants and great food stalls. And park wise I love the Luxembourg Gardens but for something a bit different you could try the Parc Andre Citroen on an old industrial site or the Parc Monceau. Have a great trip!

blusabbia
        April 28, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Thankyou so much, a great help! How did you manage to start off your blog about travel and actually get views and followers?

April 28, 2015 at 12:47 pm

My blog has been going for nearly four years now but it was a very slow start! (and probably even more so now as there are more and more bloggers) – just keep writing and practicing as it takes a while to find your style, look out for opportunities to take part in guest posts or collaborations with other bigger bloggers (Facebook blogging groups are good to find out about these) and courses like Travel Blog Success can be really useful to learn blogging and promotion skills. Good luck!

gaby
    May 6, 2015 at 1:41 am

I loved the Salvador Dali Museum and the alleys of food/restaurants in the Latin Quarter!!

May 19, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I’ve not visited the Dali Museum yet but that’s one I will have to check out for my next visit!

Neha Sharma
    May 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Paris is such a beautiful place and want to go back someday. Your post for alternative things to do in Paris is really useful and reminded me of so many things I still have to do in Paris.

May 19, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I’m lucky enough to visit Paris most years now but don’t think I could ever get tired of it or run out of things to see there!

Verna Westwood
    August 10, 2015 at 4:39 am

Lucy love your blog though I’m not a blogger usually. Place des Vosges in the Marais is beautiful – the arched arcades are stunning, and there’s a nice parfumier there. Also for more Monet a visit to the Marmottan-Monet muséum Is a must. Largest collection of Monet in the world and via lovely Rue de Passy. There’s so much to see!

August 11, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Thanks so much Verna, and thanks for the tips, I’ve not visited the Marmottan-Monet Muséum yet so it’s one I’ll look up for my next trip.

Allison
    August 31, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Hi Lucy — thanks for this article! If you’re interested in off-the-beaten-path areas of Paris, please feel free to contact me for a walking tour of Belleville (in English). Thanks! Allison (Paris on the Edge)

October 3, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Thanks Allison, I don’t know Belleville at all so will get in touch when I’m next in Paris!

Lisa Anselmo
    October 1, 2015 at 12:51 am

Good ones, Lucy. Real locals-only options. (Dog cemetery? Who knew?) Only problem: The secrets are out! Oh well, better to have shared and help create a more savvy tourist. 😉

October 3, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Haha, yes there is that – I’ll just have to go and find some even more unusual places next time then!

Lisa Anselmo
        October 3, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Cool. But maybe steer away from my ‘hood in the east 11th. I don’t wanna share it too much. 😉

Abi
    October 27, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Ah, yes, Paris. Love it! Thanks for a few suggestions that I’ve missed. I’d also suggest a visit to the Grand Mosquee for a steamy hammam or a great cup of tea. Just bring your own swimsuit…

October 27, 2015 at 7:11 pm

I love the Mosquee! Not visited the hammam yet but the gardens are so beautiful and such a peaceful escape when Paris gets a bit too hectic.

Pheonix
    November 6, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Planning a surprise trip for my daughter’s birthday…..Never been to Paris so i thank you very much for giving me a list. Can’t wait I’m so very excited

November 10, 2015 at 9:48 am

How fantastic, it’s a great city and hope you both have an amazing time!

Marc
    December 27, 2015 at 2:59 am

Great post Lucy. I lived in Paris for over 25 years and I have done everything you have mentioned in your article and I am sure my friends haven’t done those unusual things because Paris has so much to offer and so much to do. Most people don’t really want to visit places which are out of their comfort zone.

December 30, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Marc, I love Paris and am always looking for new things to see and do there, hopefully some readers will get some new ideas from the article and head out and see something new!

Iain McGeachin
    December 31, 2015 at 10:26 am

Hi Lucy,

As soon as I saw the title of this post, my first thought was “Tour Montparnasse” (I spent 7 years in Paris – and would always take friends up Montparnasse instead of the Eiffel).

The Eiffel tower is great if you like crowds and waiting for hours in queues. And once you finally get to the top, the view IS wonderful. All of Paris can be seen. EXCEPT the most amazing sight in Paris. You are standing on it!

So I was rather pleased to see that Montparnasse was your FIRST recommendation.

I SO want to be in Paris now.

Iain

December 31, 2015 at 11:39 am

Great minds think alike! Love the view from the Montparnasse Tower – the friends apartment I stay in normally is just down the road from there so I’ve been a few times. Getting the urge for another Paris trip soon too, most years I get out there at least once but missed out in 2015.

Iain McGeachin
        December 31, 2015 at 7:15 pm

The first time I went up, I looked down on the Luxembourg gardens – and was amazed at how clear they looked (normally there’s loads of dust kicked up on the paths). It took me a few moments to realise why. All the city parks had been closed to the public for health&safety reasons (the paths were very icy – and the snow that had fallen in the previous days had melted and re-frozen. So paths were treacherous.

So the park was empty! And because the air was so cold, the light was amazing.

One of those magical moments that just happens. One of my best memories of Paris.

Followed by the best crepes in Paris.

Iain

[and they sell half bottles of Champagne up there – which definitely helped conjure up the magic 😉 ]

Stacey
    February 26, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Jim Morrison grave is also there if your a fan of the Doors.

Frank T. Mikos
    March 29, 2016 at 5:41 pm

My wife & I have been to Paris 30 times, in recent years we have visited Promenade Plantee at least a half dozen times. This past September as we entered the garden via the stairway next to the opera house the first thing we noticed was a large amount of litter on the ground, the next site was at least 6 or 7 rats enjoying the midday sun, needless to say we went back from where we came; if you go be careful.

March 31, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Oh dear, that does not sound so nice! We didn’t see much litter when were there so hopefully they can get the problem sorted before it ruins the walkway.

Christine Flacks
    April 5, 2016 at 2:09 am

Musee Nissam Comando and Musee Jacquemar-Andre ( both near Parc Monceau) are fabulous. Like going to a soirée at these beautiful homes. And they are not crowded! St. Sulpice with the chapel painted by Delacroix is amazing. The Panheon and nearby St. Etienne du Mont are beautiful. Our favorite restaurant is the Petit Pontois on Rue Pontois ( left bank ). Best site for photography is the roof of Printemps Home store.

April 5, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Thanks for the tips, I usually stay near St Sulpice so know it well but some new ones to me there so I look forward to trying them out on my next Paris trip!

Ray
    April 7, 2016 at 7:33 pm

The Eiffel Tower has a bit of a “hidden gem” during the winter months when they open their public ice skating rink on the second level platform. It wasn’t really that busy when I was there in January 2011 with a few of my friends. It’s one thing to say that you have been to the Eiffel Tower. But, it’s another to say that you’ve actually skated on it!

April 8, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I actually did a Christmas guide to Paris and mentioned the ice rink – such an unusual place to have one, definitely a unique experience!

Barbara Miller
    May 2, 2016 at 9:16 pm

I love Montmartre. It is the best place to window shop in the world. There is a carousel at the foot of the stairs where musicians entertain for free. Aside from the fitness benefits of NOT using the funicular railway, there are some lovely tiny stores leading away from the Place de Tertre (tourist trap, avoid at all costs!) one of these sells tiny wind up music boxes in little matchboxes. So unusual and very cheap. Pretty much at the bottom of the hill you will find a huge fabric store called Dreyfus (painted a lurid blue) which is fabulous. Opposite Rue D’Abbess metro is a little Italian restaurant run by two brothers. If you’re finding the French food a strain, this place is the absolute best eatery in the 18th A. Take your appetite though, they won’t hug you unless you eat everything!

May 3, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Montmartre’s lovely – I stayed in an apartment there a few years back and really enjoyed exploring all the little backstreets. The Italian place sounds great too, one to remember for next time!