Guides

How to visit the Seychelles on a budget

Can you visit the Seychelles on a budget?

The Seychelles – just the name conjures up images of golden sandy beaches, palm trees, turquoise waters, sunset cocktails and five-star beachside resorts. The islands are a luxurious enclave for honeymooners, celebrities and billionaires. So when I found a flight to South Africa which had a stopover in the Seychelles along the way, I couldn’t resist.

The only problem was that my travel style’s more budget-luxury than five-star. But I was determined to see if it was possible to visit the Seychelles on a budget. And although it’s never going to be an ultra-cheap destination, it turns out that keeping your costs down isn’t impossible, even when you’re following in the sandy footprints of A-listers and royalty.

Read more: Thing to do in Mahé: A one-day Seychelles road trip itinerary

Visiting the Seychelles on a budget

Anse Soliel beach in the Seychelles

Coconut palms at Anse Soleil

Planning a trip to the Seychelles

There are 115 different islands in the Seychelles archipelago, but most are uninhabited so it comes down to a choice between the three main islands as to where to stay – Mahé, Praslin and La Digue. Mahé is the largest and is home to the Seychelles’ capital Victoria and the international airport. Praslin is smaller and accessible by plane or ferry, and from there you can get the ferry to La Digue – the smallest, quietest and arguably prettiest island.

The islands are fairly close together so it’s tempting to try and see them all, but travel time and costs add up, so if you only have a few days it’s best to focus on one island. Accommodation prices tend to be lower the longer you stay, so you can save money by not moving around.

Mahé is the cheapest island as it’s the easiest to get to and the biggest so there’s more competition for accommodation. As we only had a four-day stopover we stuck to Mahé, but if you have a week you can easily hop between islands and try a couple of different locations. From Mahé the fast ferry to Praslin takes about an hour and costs around €100 return, or Mahé to La Digue (via Praslin) takes 90 minutes and costs around €120 return.

Seychelles beaches

Beach bliss

Peak season in the Seychelles is from December to January and from June to August, which is when you’ll pay higher prices and need to book well in advance. Rainy season is from January to February, but it’s still warm and downpours are usually short. So if you don’t mind risking a shower you can save money on flights and accommodation costs.

The Seychelles’ currency in the rupee (SCR or Seychellois Rupee), with around 18 rupees to the Pound, 15 to the Euro and 14 to the US Dollar. Most things have to be imported, so bring plenty of sunscreen, mosquito repellent and toiletries to avoid high imported prices.

Beau Vallon beach

Beau Vallon boat

Where to stay in the Seychelles

When you arrive into the airport, you need proof that you have accommodation booked, so it’s not the sort of place you can wing it and pick up a last-minute bargain. Where you’re looking at where to stay in the Seychelles, luxury options outweigh the budget gems, so if you want to bag the best places try to book as far ahead as you can. Hotels can to be expensive, so also look for family-run guesthouses or self-catering options like chalets, bungalows and villas.

Expect to pay £70–£150 a night, depending on the location and facilities. We stayed in the one of two Fler Payanke apartments on the east coast of Mahé. They’re set on a hill overlooking Anse Royale bay, within walking distance of a beach, bus stop and a few shops and places to eat. Our studio apartment with a balcony and kitchen cost £85 a night (including AirBnB fees).

Other good AirBnB options I had on my shortlist were this studio in the far north of Mahé (£80 a night, sleeps two) and this cottage on the west coast (£109 a night, sleeps two). (P.S If you’ve not used AirBnB before you can get £25 credit towards your first stay by signing up with this link.)

Anse Royale beach in the Seychelles

Our ‘local’ beach, Anse Royale

Getting around the Seychelles

La Digue is so small that, other than a few taxis, most people get around by bike or ox cart. Mahé and Praslin are bigger so a hire car is the easiest way to explore. Car hire costs around £35 a day. Most are small automatic cars, which are slow but nimble on the windy mountain roads. Petrol costs fluctuate but we paid around 170 rupees per 10 litres of fuel on Mahé – spending a total of 370 rupees (£20) over four days after covering pretty much every road on the island.

If you don’t want to hire a car, then the best option is the public buses (the mountain roads are hard going for cycling and walking can be dangerous as there aren’t a lot of pavements around). The buses cover over 40 different routes across Mahé and Praslin – we spotted them even on the smallest beach roads. They use old blue Tata minibuses and the driving can be a bit crazy so hold on tightly around the mountain road hairpin bends! A single fare costs 5 rupees (30p) and it’s easy to spot the bus stops as they’re painted on the road.

Roads in Mahé in the Seychelles

On the road in Mahé

Things to do in the Seychelles on a budget

The Seychelles are all about the beaches – and they’re the islands’ best bargain. All beaches are free access, so even the ones which have five-star resorts on them are also open to the public. So you can beach-hop your way around the islands and join the jet set at the Banyan Tree resort at Anse Intendance, the MAIA resort at Anse Louis or the Four Seasons Hotel at Petite Anse.

You can usually access the beach from the road so you don’t have to walk through hotel grounds. There are some off-road parking areas or otherwise you can just park on the side of the road, and the buses stop at all main beaches. Strong currents mean that some beaches aren’t safe for swimming, or are only safe at certain times of the year, so check local signs before taking a dip.

Beaches in Mahé Seychelles

Beaches at Anse Takamaka and Beau Vallon on Mahé

Away from the beaches there are a few other cheap or free things to do in the Seychelles on a budget. There are hikes along the coast or through the mountainous area in the centre of Mahé. Among the most popular walks on Mahé are the coast path from Beau Vallon to the secluded beach at Anse Major (around two hours return) or the steep climb up to Morne Blanc for amazing views out over Morne Seychellois National Park (two hours return).

If the weather’s bad you can visit the Botanic Gardens (100 rupees/£5), Natural History museum (15 rupees/80p) and Hindu temple in the capital Victoria. Mahé is also home to the Takamaka rum distillery which runs tours and tastings at 11.30am and 1.30pm, Monday–Friday (250 rupees/£13). And if you want to splash out (excuse the pun), you can take a snorkelling or diving trip, a boat trip to an uninhabited island or spot whale sharks between August and October.

Morne Seychellois National Park Mahé Seychelles

Morne Seychellois National Park

Seychelles food and drink

Apart from fish and a few varieties of local fruit and vegetables, everything else has to be imported into the Seychelles so it comes at a premium price. This means a main course in a standard restaurant will cost you around 250 rupees (£13) and at high-end resorts they can be much higher. Add in a couple of drinks and the service charge and you’re looking at at least £50 for a meal for two. One bargain in Mahé though is Beau Vallon’s Wednesday market (4pm–8pm), with freshly cooked dishes like satay, grilled fish and coconut curry.

Self-catering helps keep the prices down – even if you eat out in the evenings it’s worth grabbing supplies for a lunchtime picnic. Victoria’s covered market is open every day except Sunday and sells local fruit and veg, spices and fresh fish – you’ll also see fish sold by the roadside.

Five travel-inspired cocktails that transport me to another place around the world – from a Cosmopolitan in New York to a White Russian in Reykjavik.

Pina coladas on the beach

There are also lots of little Indian-run supermarkets around the islands where you can pick up drinks and basic food items. Or there are a couple of bigger international supermarkets in Mahé – a Co-op in the Eden Island development and a big STC on the outskirts of Victoria. Both sell a lot of imported European products (mainly from France).

If you’ve got space in your bag it’s worth bringing a few food basics like pasta, cereal bars, tea and coffee to get you started, and stock up on alcohol at duty free before you arrive. You can’t bring plant or animal products into the country, but you can bring up to two litres of wine and two litres of spirits per person. Seybrew beer and Takamaka rum are both produced on the islands so their prices are lower – you’ll pay around 35 rupees (£2) for a 0.5 litre Seybrew in a local shop versus 160 rupees (£9) for a beach bar cocktail.

Bottles of rum at Takamaka Rum Distillery

Takamaka rum at the distillery

The verdict

So, can you visit the Seychelles on a budget? Well sort of! If you’re on a very tight budget you’ll struggle with the food and accommodation prices. But for around £80 a day per person you can stay in an apartment, rent a car, beach-hop and hike, cook most of your own food and have a few local drinks. It’s very easy to spend a lot more though, so it’s a destination where you need to always keep one eye on the budget – but it’s worth it for a taste of Indian Ocean paradise.

Looking for somewhere to stay in the Seychelles?

Visiting the paradise islands of the Seychelles on a budget, with tips on trip planning and how to save money on accommodation, transport, food and more. #Seychelles #IndianOcean #budgettravel #paradise #honeymoonHow to visit the Seychelles on a budget, with tips on trip planning and how to save money on accommodation, transport, food and more in these paradise islands in the Indian Ocean. #Seychelles #IndianOcean #budgettravel #paradise #honeymoon

This article contains affiliate links, where I get a small commission at no extra cost to you, thanks.

aeparker81
    January 4, 2017 at 7:09 pm

It looks like it is possible! I can imagine this appeals for people spending longer on the islands too – a few fancy nights but also some privacy and quiet time self catering too, we often find that mix works well and prices well!

January 4, 2017 at 9:23 pm

That’s a great idea – I’m a bit fan of the budget trip with a bit of luxury thrown in (though tend to do it more in cheaper places where you can get somewhere really special for your money!).

flyfinn1
    January 4, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Brilliant about your Seychelles experience

January 4, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Thanks so much!

• Odogwu
        June 4, 2018 at 9:58 am

I am planning to visit Seychelles towards the end of June, can I get the contact of family run guest houses for booking? Thank you in advance

• Lucy
        June 6, 2018 at 11:18 am

Hi, I would try AirBnB and search for ‘Home type’ as ‘Private room’ then they should come up.

Travel Candy
    January 4, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Another wonderfully detailed post by you lovely Luce. Very useful info – and your pics are incredible, as always.

January 4, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Thanks so much lovely! I struggled to find much info when I was planning the trip so wanted to go and check out as many things as possible while I was there so I could write it up (all those beach days were clearly a hardship!).

Noelle
    January 4, 2017 at 9:59 pm

This is great – I had no idea the Seychelles could be done at a fairly reasonable price!

January 4, 2017 at 10:04 pm

It wasn’t the easiest budget trip (I had to pretend I’d forgotten the exchange rate to properly enjoy my pina colada on the beach!) but definitely worth it.

Urska - Slovenian Girl Abroad
    January 5, 2017 at 11:32 am

I’ve stayed at Fler Payanke apartment too! 🙂 I agree with you! It’s not the cheapest destination on the planet, but if you plan your trip well in advance and keep an eye on your budget, you can travel to Seychelles for reasonable price.

January 5, 2017 at 6:01 pm

How funny! It’s a lovely spot – I spent lots of evenings on the balcony there (we had some cracking thunderstorms and sat and watched the lightening over the ocean).

hvarcegovac
    January 5, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Seychelles are a great destination. They can definitely be done on the cheap if you want to. One of the things that very few people forget about is Couch Surfing. This is one of the things that few people try there…

January 5, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Couchsurfing is a great idea if you’re on a tight budget – especially for solo travellers as it can get expensive booking apartments on your own.

alison abbott
    January 5, 2017 at 4:55 pm

I’m so happy to read your post. The Seychelles are one of the spots I’m considering for a big anniversary we have next year and I want to surprise my husband. All I was seeing was $$$$ so it’s good to hear you can have an experience there without breaking the bank! Thanks.

January 5, 2017 at 5:58 pm

What great timing! It would be a lovely spot for an anniversary – especially one of the smaller islands. Hope the post comes in useful.

raastha
    January 6, 2017 at 7:21 am

I really love you soo much for this post. There is enough information for a budget traveler. I have already bookmarked it. amazing photos.

January 9, 2017 at 1:04 pm

You’re very welcome! Hope it comes in useful.

javealife
    January 6, 2017 at 11:03 am

looks just astonishingly beautiful , maybe one day

January 9, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Hope you get to see it for yourself one day!

Sara Dobak
    January 7, 2017 at 4:04 pm

This is one of the things I love so much about your posts, Lucy – the thoughtful tips and advice. I’d never looked into how much of the produce in the Seychelles is imported, so your suggestions on bringing your own basics are very handy – being pragmatic brings the seemingly unattainable destinations within reach!

January 9, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Sara, I didn’t know a lot about the Seychelles really until we booked the trip so needed to do a bit of research and thought it might come in handy to other people too!

Jaillan Yehia
    January 7, 2017 at 4:13 pm

I love your attitude, it’s exactly what I would do, in fact I think we both consider it a challenge when something like this comes up to prove that it can be done – especially when it is a free stopover it’s impossible to refuse! I’m not surprised that self-catering plays a big role in keeping the budget down too.

January 9, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I’m such a big self-catering fan as you have so many more options (plus I can’t eat gluten so it’s good to have a back up if I struggle finding somewhere with something I can eat!).

Emma Hart | Paper Planes and Caramel Waffles
    January 7, 2017 at 8:22 pm

What a great and useful post Lucy! Definitely one I’ll be keeping bookmarked if I ever go to the Seychelles which hopefully I will because it sounds like my perfect destination. Beautiful beaches and rum? Yes please!

January 9, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Thanks Emma – if you like rum and beaches you will definitely like the Seychelles!

January 7, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Stopovers are such a good idea! I love that you made what could have been a very expensive four days fit nicely into your budget. Heaps of useful info here and as always I love your photography.

January 9, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Thanks, I had some pretty good subjects to photograph! Stopovers are so good to add an extra trip in, I’ll definitely keep my eye out for future possibilities.

Kathryn Burrington
    January 7, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Brilliant post Lucy. Lovely photos and I would never have thought of AirBnB in the Seychelles. Such a good idea if you are on a budget, especially as it means you don’t have to eat out all the time. Now I just need to see if my airmiles can get me there!

January 9, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Thank you! I’m finding AirBnB more and more useful for the less expected places as they get more listings added and the choice goes up. Being able to cook some of your own food really helps stick to a budget.

Marlies
    January 7, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Seychelles looks amazing! I think £80 a day isn’t that bad.
    Thanks for the tips! 🙂

January 9, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Thanks – we did keep a close eye on our spending but were pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t a complete mission impossible!

MummyTravels
    January 8, 2017 at 7:54 am

I had never thought of AirBNB in somewhere like the Seychelles – that is such a great way to see the islands. I think I’d always assumed it was 5* only too. Great tips about the food as well and at £80 per day, I suspect your 4 days was still less than one night in a hotel!

January 9, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I saw someone do a similar thing with AirBnB in the Maldives and it was a really good way to make a pricey destination more affordable (I dread to think what the resort prices are like!).

Agness of eTramping
    January 9, 2017 at 8:38 am

Oh my I fell in love with this place just looking at the pictures. Never thought that it is possible to get some budget trip here, but will surely try. Thank you Lucy for this wonderful info.

January 9, 2017 at 12:41 pm

You’re very welcome – it is a stunning place, hope you get to visit someday!

Urska - Slovenian Girl Abroad
    January 9, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Oh yes, the balcony was great. 🙂 We didn’t have any thunderstorms to watch, but we still enjoyed the views. 🙂

Sadia Raisa
    May 2, 2017 at 11:25 am

Hi Lucy, thanks for the very helpful post.:) Looking forward to have a vacation there someday.
    Which month did you visit there?

May 2, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Thanks Sadia – we were there in early November so had a few showers but it wasn’t quite into peak season prices.

Deepak Acharya
    May 24, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I will save the link for my future trip 🙂

May 29, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Hope it comes in useful!

Alisa Morrow
    January 12, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Hello Lucy,
    I just want to Thank you for the wonderful insight into a once believed unobtainable dream destination. I never ever would of thought of using AirBNB to reduce the cost in such a place. I am now looking into making this dream a reality for our up and coming 25th wedding anniversary. With all of your tips and realistic advice I feel that we can do this now. I will let you know how we make out.

January 15, 2018 at 11:03 pm

Thanks Alisa, that’s great to hear! Really hope it all works out for you and you have a fantastic 25th anniversary – do let me know how you get on too.

Faye
    January 29, 2018 at 11:46 pm

Excellent article- thank you! We got some good return flight deals for September in the BA sale and although neither of us is especially strapped, neither of us is the splash-the-cash type and want to ensure we come home without the feeling we need to live on beans on toast for the rest of the year. One thing I’d love to know is whether it is at all possible to island-hop (esp to the outer, uninhabited islands) without chartering a boat (first quote: EUR 800 per day!!)

Manoj Singh
    July 15, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Hey Lucy!
    Thanks a lot for valuable information, Im doing a solo next month for 10days, I’m now able to plan my trip more better and cheaper, thanks to you. Cheers!

July 17, 2018 at 12:01 pm

That’s great to hear – hope you have a wonderful trip!

Raisa
    August 8, 2018 at 7:05 am

Hi Lucy, Is the weather is good in December and January? Is there any rain?

August 8, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Hi Raisa, January has the highest rainfall (around 380mm on average) and December is a bit lower (280mm), but it tends to be drier in the north and south sides of the island. There’s on average around 18 rainy days in those months but it’s often stormy so it’s just raining for part of the day. We went in mid-November and had heavy rainstorms in the evening but a mix of sun and clouds during the day.

• Raisa
        August 13, 2018 at 7:28 am

Thanks a lot Lucy. So its better to plan to get the sunshine and clear sky at October. right?

• Lucy
        August 14, 2018 at 10:45 am

Yes hopefully the rainfall should be a lot lower then so you should get some clearer days.

• Raisa
        August 14, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Thanks a lot Lucy 🙂

masterpeace
    September 27, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your insights with the rest of us! this info is very useful
    I will follow your blog from now on since I love traveling so much but also to spend my money properly, so i appropriate your article very much.

Also, where do you get a reliable information about the whether?
    I plan trip to Seychelles on October , i really hope it will be nice and warm.

September 28, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Thanks! October in the Seychelles is warm at 24°C at night up to 30°C by day – there may be some storms and showers, but they are usually fairy short lasting.

Prasad Vaidya
    October 8, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Thanks Lucy for such a wonderful information.
    I am planning my honeymoon there Feb 2019.
    Will keep in mind all the tips you provided…

October 10, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Hope you have a wonderful trip (and congratulations!).

BIla
    November 25, 2018 at 9:31 am

thanks Lucy my dream to travel has been accomplished with your suitable write-up guess i will be going there February how is the weather during February, and hope all i saw on AIRBNB are real

November 28, 2018 at 8:11 pm

So glad it was useful! February should be around 28°C and maybe a few showers but they’re usually quite short.

lorenzo
    June 4, 2019 at 2:51 pm

Hi Lucy, travelling to seychelles this end of june. any idea where we can get a budget island hopping for a day?

June 4, 2019 at 4:46 pm

Hi, are you staying on Mahe? If so I’m afraid there aren’t many day tours out to the other islands and the ones there are look pretty pricey. The cheapest way to do it would be to take the public ferries rather than a tour but you would probably be limited to one island a day due to timings.

lorenzo
    June 5, 2019 at 8:06 am

Hi there so happy to see your prompt response, yes me and my friend will be staying at Beau Vallon, Mahe. So there are public ferries going to praslin? if there are I would take that instead of the package tours.

June 11, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Yes the fast ferry to Praslin takes about an hour and costs around €94 return.

Jared
    November 10, 2019 at 2:42 am

Hi Lucy,

Good day. Can you recommend a car rental company in Mahe? I will be staying at Beau Vallon. Thanks!

November 11, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Hi, we hired our car via our AirBnB host so it might be worth checking with the place you are staying as they will likely be better value than the big chains.

Ronan
    February 5, 2020 at 4:18 am

Hi Lucy, thanks so much for sharing your experiences. We are going there in April for our honeymoon and were wondering on the split of where rupees are used and where Euros would be needed. Since on a budget trip, we would be buying a lot of supplies from supermarkets and eating at small takeaway joints, Im assuming that these would accept rupees only? Also I assume that stuff like ferry bookings, car rentals, accommodation payments, etc would be in euros? Thanks

February 10, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Hi yes that sounds about right – we mostly used Euros for major expenses, and rupees for drinks, snacks etc (I think often you get a better deal in rupees). There were banks and currency exchanges in the main towns so we never had too much trouble exchanging. Hope you have a fantastic trip!

Stefanie
    September 28, 2020 at 10:00 pm

I am vegetarian and have a limited diet don’t each much diary either. Would I find food I could eat in the seychelles?

September 29, 2020 at 10:09 am

Vegetarian options should be no problem but you might be more limited with avoiding dairy too – some resorts do offer vegan options or the other thing you could do is rent a self-catering place and make some of your own food (supermarkets are quite pricey but sticking to local produce should help).