Guides

A weekend in Cambridge

A weekend in Cambridge, England

After living in Oxford for a few years, I always thought I knew exactly where my loyalties lay – you’d never find me cheering Cambridge in the boat race. But my first trip to Cambridge started to sway me. Like Oxford it’s got a fascinating history, beautiful architecture, punts on the river, cobbled streets full of bikes and enough museums and libraries to feel like you’re getting cleverer by osmosis. But the river running right past the colleges adds an extra level of prettiness that had me considering defecting. It turns out that Cambridge University was founded by students from Oxford though, so I think we can justifiably class it as an extension of Oxford! So if you’re planning a visit, here’s my guide to spending 48 hours in Cambridge.

More weekend guides: Oxford, Bath, Cheltenham, Canterbury, RyeCardiff, Chester, York, Glasgow
Punts on the River Cam, Cambridge

Punts on the River Cam

Friday evening

Get a glimpse behind the closed doors of Cambridge’s colleges with University Rooms, who rent student rooms out to visitors. The money helps with upkeep and you get to wander through their gardens, eat in their dining halls and drink in the student bar. Prices start from a bargain £40 a night B&B, with a choice of en-suites or shared bathrooms, and lots of single rooms so it’s great for solo travellers. You can book two–three months in advance, with most availability during the summer, Christmas and Easter holidays.

Or splash out on a luxurious stay at The Varsity, tucked between St John’s and Magdalene colleges on the banks of the River Cam. It has stylish, boutique-style rooms in the modern main building, named after different colleges and with balconies on higher floors. There’s also a spa and restaurant in a 19th-century warehouse conversion next door. Standard rooms start from £115 B&B. Even if you’re not staying there, head up to their rooftop bar at sunset for a drink with a 360-degree city view. Then have dinner at the Cambridge Chop House, which serves traditional English food with a great view across to King’s College.

The Backs, Cambridge

Cambridge’s colleges

Saturday morning

Start the day with a tour of the heart of Cambridge – its colleges. There are 31 to choose from, and most are open to visitors at least part of the time (opening times vary, especially around exam time, so check in advance). Cambridge University’s three big-hitters are King’s, Trinity and St John’s, but don’t discount the smaller colleges which each have their own character, stories and secret spots. King’s College (£9 adults/£6 concessions) is famous for its Gothic Chapel, which has a rare fan-vaulted ceiling and huge stained-glass windows. It’s got fantastic acoustics and you can hear the chapel choir sing during services.

Trinity is the home of the Wren Library, designed by Christopher Wren in 1676 and housing historic books like Isaac Newton’s notebook and the manuscript of Winnie-the-Pooh (free entry, open Saturdays 10.30am–12.30pm in term-time). St John’s (£10 adults/£5 concessions) has beautiful grounds, and is where you’ll find the Bridge of Sighs. It’s also where a lot of the film The Theory of Everything, about Stephen Hawking’s life, was filmed (though there’s a bit of artistic licence as in real life he studied at Trinity Hall).

Stop for lunch at the Michaelhouse Café, in a converted medieval church. The menu changes daily and features simple, fresh food like soups, sandwiches, casseroles, homemade quiches and cakes. Then grab an ice cream from Jack’s Gelato on Bene’t Street – they have a whole range of weird and wonderful flavour combos, from salted balsamic caramel or Chelsea Bun to beetroot and cumin or roasted rice.

King's College Cambridge chapel

The fan-vaulted ceiling of King’s College Chapel

Saturday afternoon

You can’t visit Cambridge without getting out on the water in a punt. Scudamore’s are Cambridge’s oldest punt hire service and run a range of different tours. Head along the Backs – the area where several of the colleges back onto the River Cam – for the most scenic stretch of water. You pass a string of bridges, including the Bridge of Sighs (named after the bridge in Venice) and the quirky Mathematical Bridge, which looks like an arch despite only being made up of straight pieces of wood. A 45-minute guided tour with commentary costs £19 adults/£17.50 concessions (though you can save £3 if you book online in advance). Or you can hire a punt seating up to six for £27.50 per hour if your balance is up to doing it yourself.

Finish the day off with a view of Cambridge from above at Great St Mary’s Church. A 123-step spiral staircase takes you to the top of the church tower for a panoramic view over the college rooftops (open until 5.30pm/4.30pm in winter, £4 adults/£3.50 concessions). Then head to The Eagle pub on Benet Street,  where scientists Crick and Watson announced they’d discovered DNA. Look up and you’ll see the RAF ceiling, where pilots coming back from the Second World War signed their names. Have dinner at Cambridge’s oldest restaurant, Varsity, with dishes like duck breast and slow-roast pork belly on the menu.

Mathematical Bridge, Cambridge

The Mathematical Bridge

Sunday morning

Cambridge has a higher proportion of cyclists than anywhere else in the country, and its 80 miles of cycle routes (and lack of hills) make it a good place to join them. New cycle hire scheme ofo recently launched in the city with 150 bikes – its first location outside China. Its bright yellow bikes are different from most cycle schemes in that they don’t need docking stations. Instead you download their app and use it to locate a bike, scan the bike’s code and get a pin number to unlock it. Then when you’re finished you just park it up and lock it. It’s really easy to use and inexpensive at 50p for 30 mins (though it’s free at the moment).

There are some nice waterside cycle paths through Midsummer Common and along the Cam, past canal boats and rowers, or head out of the city to one of the surrounding villages. You can download cycle route maps from the local council website. Stop for lunch (or grab a picnic) at Aromi on Bene’t St, a Sicilian-style café which uses authentic Italian ingredients to make pizzas, focaccias, paninis and cannoli.

Ofo bike hire scheme in Cambridge

One of the ofo bikes

Sunday afternoon

Head to the Fitzwilliam Museum, a stunning building that houses art and antiquities from around the world (open 12pm–5pm on Sundays, free admission). Take a wander around some of the galleries – you can take your pick from medieval manuscripts, Egyptian carvings, Turner’s watercolours, Michelangelo’s sculptures as well as a few thousand more exhibits. Then finish off your weekend in genteel Cambridge style with afternoon tea at Fitzbillies, across the street from the museum. This Cambridge institution is famous for its sticky Chelsea Buns, which have been made to the same recipe since 1922. They also do a traditional afternoon tea of finger sandwiches, scones and mini cakes (with or without a glass of Champagne).

Fitzbillies Café in Cambridge

Fitzbillies

Have you visited Cambridge? Do you have any tips to add on what to see, do and eat?

How to spend a weekend in Cambridge in England, with tips on what to see, do, eat and drink on a 48-hour escape to this pretty riverside university city.

Many thanks to ofo for hosting me in Cambridge. All views and opinions are, as always, my own.

janowrite
    August 16, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Wonderful post!

August 16, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Thanks so much!

Anne Morgan
    August 16, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Beetroot ice cream??? Wish I’d known about that when I was in Cambridge!

August 16, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Bizarre isn’t it – I have to admit I went for one of the more conventional flavours though but maybe next time!

Gemma
    August 16, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I live in Oxford so like the idea of it being an extention.
    I’ve only been to Cambridge once for a wirk related day trip. Definitely need another visit.

August 16, 2017 at 7:04 pm

I’d only been for work too and that was about 15 years ago so it was well overdue!

beingbuttons
    August 16, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Lovely post – I really enjoyed Cambridge when I went for a weekend earlier this year. Fitzbillies is definitely a Cambridge must! We went kayaking to the Orchard Tea Rooms at Grantchester (fabulous scones!) which was great fun and I would also recommend. We did it instead of punting so I am still yet to go on a punt.

August 16, 2017 at 7:05 pm

We didn’t get out to Grantchester this time but it looks lovely so that’s one for a second trip definitely – and I am always up for more scones!

wannderful
    August 16, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Most amazing! We usually go to London when in England, but your post is very convincing!

August 17, 2017 at 9:23 am

Thanks, Cambridge is a really easy trip from London too!

mooremomentos
    August 16, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Oh my goodness! We are going to England (from New Zealand) for the first time ever and staying in Saffron-Walden which is in Cambridge. Were staying with family but I have emailed this link to my sister I law because I want to do all of this!!! The timing of this article is perfect! My sons science teacher has just moved to NZ from Cambridge and he told us of the rivalry that exists between Oxford and Cambridge hehehe We are there September to October this year! Yay! This is perfect timing this blog post! Thank you!

August 17, 2017 at 9:24 am

That is good timing! Hope you have an amazing trip and that it comes in useful (you’ll have to make it over to Oxford too to see which you prefer!).

Noelle
    August 17, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I love Cambridge! So beautiful. Too bad I’m far too late to go to school there! 😉

August 17, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Not for a PhD maybe!

wigginswordsandimages
    August 17, 2017 at 4:03 pm

My favorite surprise gem in Cambridge was the Scott Polar Research Institute. If you have any interest in polar exploration (which I do) you will find it fascinating. We just sort of stumbled across it, and I’m so glad we did. http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/

August 17, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I so wanted to go and have a look around the museum there as the stories of the explorers are so fascinating – unfortunately it was closed on the Sunday so I missed it but one to go back and see sometime!

MummyTravels
    August 19, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I lived in Oxford for years too (love the idea Cambridge is an extension!) but rrally enjoyed my couple of visits. The most recent was in winter when we ended up wrapped in blankets on a punt after a tour of some of the colleges. Perhaps time to go back in summer for some ice cream.

August 23, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Bet it looks lovely in winter too – I’ll have to go back sometime and do a comparison!

Clazz - An Orcadian Abroad
    August 22, 2017 at 8:34 am

I definitely need to visit Cambridge! I’ve never quite made it other than passing through to catch a train, and having an argument with a bus driver (he wouldn’t accept my Scottish money and I almost missed my connection back to Scotland as a result!!). Maybe not the best first impression! Also that bike hire system sounds fantastic – I hope it works and spreads to other places!

August 23, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Sounds like your Cambridge experiences can only get better! Apparently the bike hire scheme has just started up in Oxford too so hopefully it’ll keep spreading.

Ladies What Travel (@LadiesWTravel)
    August 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Having grown up in Herts I’m the other way round and a big lover of Cambridge but never really embracing what Oxford has to offer. I need to do a mirror trip to yours to see if I can fall in love with Oxford! 😉 K x

August 25, 2017 at 11:08 am

You so should! (I have an Oxford guide too if you need some tips 😉 x

Kathryn Burrington
    August 27, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I’d love to visit Cambridge and Oxford for the weekend and staying in the University Rooms sounds wonderful, there so much history associated with them. It’s also given me the idea to see if I could stay in one of my old halls of residences at Bristol University where I went some 30 years ago now! It would be a great way to revisit the city. What memories it would bring back! I’ll take weekends away in all three, please.

August 27, 2017 at 10:24 pm

I stayed in the University Rooms in Oxford for my sister’s hen do and it was great – we almost had a college to ourselves! They do the same thing in my old uni Exeter so wouldn’t be surprised if they did in Bristol too. It’s a real bargain and you can get some amazing rooms in the historic Oxford and Cambridge colleges.

alison abbott
    August 28, 2017 at 2:28 am

I had no idea Cambridge was so gorgeous. You had me at the first photo of the bridge. So much history here to explore. Lovely images!

August 28, 2017 at 9:10 am

It is so pretty! (I got a new wide-angle lens for my birthday last month so it’s been put to good use there).

aeparker81
    August 28, 2017 at 8:56 am

It’s a gorgeous city for a weekend mooching around! I agree about staying in college, we did once for a university sailing event years ago and it was good fun!

August 28, 2017 at 9:10 am

It’s especially good if you’ve got a group of you as you can usually use the sitting rooms too so you have some communal space.

Chloe
    September 4, 2017 at 12:07 pm

I still have’t visited Cambridge but I just found your post while looking for something else and it reminded me I need to go! I love Oxford – would you say one is better or similar?

September 4, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Ooh that’s a tough one! The riverside setting of Cambridge makes it extra pretty but I think there’s maybe a bit more going on (better bars, restaurants etc) in Oxford. Both fab cities though.